Question q9650 lags and spikes.

Mar 8, 2019
I just upgraded my lx6810 gateway's processor from q8200 to core2quad q9650. But bleeps happen every like 4 seconds when playing guitar rig which never happened when I was using q8200. Also my games were looking better graphic wise and a little faster but the system intermittently lags every few seconds. I did not do a fresh reinstall of windows but I did use the reinstall a fresh windows option while saving my old files from the windows repair mode options. It did help a little bit but there is still that annoying interrupts every few minutes or so.

I bought the used q9650 from eBay. I did run an Intel processor test and it passed everything except it cannot find the brand types or something. I forgot what the error is called.

SPECS:
nVidia gt710 GPU 2gb ddr3
core2quad Q9650
nVidia 720i MCP mobo
4x2gb RAM DDR2 PC1333 I think

audio interface:
Native instruments audio kontrol 1 USB interface

[edit]

here are my accurate specs.
https://valid.x86.fr/8n983u

Last edited:

Infikiran

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
According to specs on both CPUs they pull the same amount of power so it shouldn't be overdriving your board. I checked the CPU support list and it does show supported with your board. Have you checked your CPU temps after the upgrade? Make sure the heatsink is securely mounted and with fresh thermal compound. Also, are you running the latest version of your motherboard's BIOS?
If the temps are fine and you are running the latest BIOS try running Prime 95 for a while and see if your computer freezes or crashes. If so it's possible the CPU you bought is defective.
As for your error with the intel test, does this happen to be an engineering sample cpu? If so I know those can be a little weird on some motherboards.

Mar 8, 2019
Thank you Infikiran for the fast reply.

I used fresh thermal compound on it. But I can replace the thermal compound if needed be. I ran the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool and everything shows as passed except the brandstring requirement. what that means, I have no idea. And I am not sure if I have the latest BIOS from gateway although it seems that gateway rarely releases BIOS upgrades for its products. My temperatures are around 50° - 65° max. Is there a more reliable tool to measure CPU temp?

[recently edited]

On a side note: im running windows 10 on this one.

Last edited: