Question QNAP 4 Bay NAS Case

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
https://www.amazon.ca/Qnap-TR-004-Type-C-Hardware-Enclosure/dp/B07K4RC7X9/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2KBJXT7TE0BEF&keywords=qnap+tr-004+4-bay&qid=1703637884&sprefix=QNAP+TR-004,aps,128&sr=8-2&th=1

I currently have a Fractal Design Pop Air XL case, and there doesnt seem to be anyway I can add more 3.5" drives to my setup, as all the available slots are being used. I'd put one inside the case, but there doesnt seem to be a tray that will mount in there for this.

That leaves me to going to an external NAS case setup. If I got the above case from Amazon.ca or maybe B&H in the USA (I live in Canada), what exactly is needed to basically get this case going (other than the drives themselves)? Is it easy to setup on your system? They say it uses USB-C, but how is the case and drives powered? Also I will be using 22TB 3.5" drives in this case, so it would have to be compatible with those. Most likely a Seagate Ironwolf Pro drive.

USAFRet

Titan
I have a TR-004, currently attached to my QNAP TS-453a NAS.

The case has its own power cable to the wall.
The USB is simply data.

The TR-004 is a DAS, Direct Attached Storage.
A NAS is Network Attached Storage...its own little server.

If you're just looking for a 4 bay external thing, without the QNAP additions, this MediaSonic might work.
https://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-SATA-Hard-Drive-Enclosure/dp/B078YQHWYW
I also have one of these...a slightly different variant.

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
I take it DAS doesnt need anything special to just plug in and use? I don't really want an elaborate second computer setup just to use spare drives. If I can just plug in the drives and have a simple connection to my main computer, all the better.

USAFRet

Titan
I take it DAS doesnt need anything special to just plug in and use? I don't really want an elaborate second computer setup just to use spare drives. If I can just plug in the drives and have a simple connection to my main computer, all the better.
Yep, that is exactly what a DAS is.
Just plug it in...