QNAP TS-470 NAS Review: Four GbE Links, With 10 GbE Scalability

Status
Not open for further replies.
V4 of the software looks nice, but is hell to use. What idiot tries to build a window manager in JS?

The previous generation had a USB3.0 port on the front, wonder why they went back to two?

Also, if my TS-559 Pro II is anything to go by, these things really can't handle dust.

sharkie8

Reputable
May 22, 2014
Agree with previous comment, it's difficult to use depite the looks.

Although TS-470 has a good potential to be upped with an i7 processor and 16 GB ram if you're willing to void the warranty. There's an article showing how to do it...

gsxrme

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
4 Drive fail, If the drives are in raid 5, then were talking 300MB/s transfer max. 4 NIC team doesn't matter unless were talking 8+ drives and 1 hell of a switch.

TD430 running x8 WD 4TB Reds in raid 5 with 2 LANs in Team yielded 700MB/s with 20TB raid array allocation.

This NAS is junk with crap transfer

kalmquist

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
It's strange they used a discontinued CPU in this product. They could have gone with a G1610 (Ivy Bridge, 2.6Ghz, released in first quarter 2013) for the same price.

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
I'm not so sure the HDMI port being connected to your TV is much of a selling point at $1,000! With the size of the device you could pretty much emulate it with a Mini-ITX motherboard, four bay hard drive backplane (the QNAP bays look almost exactly like one of the IcyBox models) and you can fairly easily pick up a good gigabit Ethernet card. The only thing the QNAP really does that you can easily do yourself is the case, but if you're only concerned with features then any decent Mini-ITX case with room for the drives, or back-planes + drives, ought to do just fine.

So ehm… yeah, other than the custom case I'm not really convinced this is great value for money at all.

This is stupidly overpriced. You can build something identical to this for about $300~500 USD. I actually build these all the time for various people, it's nothing but mini-ITX parts put together with an PCI-e network card plugged in.

Duckhunt

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
You can get the OS afterward from syntology if you go it your own build. I am disappointed that they picked such a weak cpu. At least go for something that is not only low powered but 22nm. Come on.

nasukaren

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
RAID5 ... boring.... give me RAIDZ2 anytime. But with only 4 disks, not worth using Z2. Why don't these manufacturers realize that RAID5 is dead and give us boxes with 6 drives?

Remember it's without HDD's, so you only need a weak CPU on a mini-itx platform with 4GB of memory. Use either an i3 or an APU, something 65W or less. Case's are $50~75 USD with a PSU. Since we're not using a large dGPU, actual power requirements are going to be ~100W or so system wide.

Now my personal preference is to use a M350 case with an external MediaSonic enclosure connected via eSATA. The enclosure costs $120 to $190 USD depending on which you get. The PRORAID is $190 and does the RAID in HW with it's own XOR processing chip and memory. Should the server crap itself, I can disconnect the array and plug it into another system with eSATA or USB3 and still get access to my data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS