QOS/Bandwidth control help

rmg081094

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016
Hi, I'm trying to setup my Bandwidth Control (idk if this is same as QOS)

My upload speed is 8mbps

My download speed is 20mbps

I have 9 units.

What should I put in minimum and maximum download and upload speed? Thank you! :)

Solution
I assume this is bandwidth control for your WAN port?

It's crucial to set the upload speed max to 85%-90%. The way TCP/IP works, it requires confirmation from your computer for each packet it downloads. If your computer is using 100% of your upload bandwidth with something else (say, torrent seeding), these confirmation packets will be delayed, and your download will stall as the other computer waits for the confirmation before sending the next download packet. Setting the max below 100% insures that there is always enough upload bandwidth available to send these confirmation packets immediately.

The download speed max isn't as important because it's controlled by your ISP. You can usually set it at 100% without problems. If that...
I assume this is bandwidth control for your WAN port?

It's crucial to set the upload speed max to 85%-90%. The way TCP/IP works, it requires confirmation from your computer for each packet it downloads. If your computer is using 100% of your upload bandwidth with something else (say, torrent seeding), these confirmation packets will be delayed, and your download will stall as the other computer waits for the confirmation before sending the next download packet. Setting the max below 100% insures that there is always enough upload bandwidth available to send these confirmation packets immediately.

The download speed max isn't as important because it's controlled by your ISP. You can usually set it at 100% without problems. If that causes problems, you can try the 85%-90% rule as above.

Bandwidth control simply limits the amount of WAN bandwidth your router allows to be used. QoS actually prioritizes the packets based on the type of data they're carrying. So for example, you could prioritize VoIP and video conferencing packets above gaming packets, which have a higher priority than video streaming packets, which have a higher priority than web browsing packets, which have a higher priority than ftp download and web download packets, with filesharing having the lowest priority. It can also work based on the device on the network that's sending/receiving the packets, or the Internet server they're originating from.

I have only seen a minimum bandwidth setting related to QoS. So you can choose to give, say, your main PC a minimum of 1 Mbps. That way your PC is guaranteed to always get that much bandwidth regardless of traffic type or what anyone else on your network is doing.

Solution