[SOLVED] QoS Question

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015
Hello ,i hope everyone is doing ok

Since due to current situation there is a lockdown or quarantine in almost every country and since everyone is at home staying safe ,internet usage has peaked and load is heavy on ISP's

My internet really slows down during peak hours like afternoon and evening,
I am unable to game on the cloud or have a decent connection to my cloud vm for gaming and internet is really slow in those peak hours

Now i know this is not a magic ability but will configuring and activating QoS on my router help me improve internet speed since i can install openwrt on my router and i have a back up router just in case
openwrt can be used as a server ,will that help in anyway

But yeah my basic question is about QoS and can it benefit me
Forgive me for my lack of knowledge on this subject and a big thanks for all and any help

Solution
You can only affect traffic going from your house to the internet. QoS will not affect your neighbors usage.....well I suppose you could block your traffic so his runs faster :).

If you could actually set QoS on the internet to make your traffic faster everyone would just set their to maximum priority and you would be back to same issue.

Besides this is what people complain about net neutrality. Nobody want some traffic to be favored over theirs so even if it would somehow work it will never be allowed.
You can only affect traffic going from your house to the internet. QoS will not affect your neighbors usage.....well I suppose you could block your traffic so his runs faster :).

If you could actually set QoS on the internet to make your traffic faster everyone would just set their to maximum priority and you would be back to same issue.

Besides this is what people complain about net neutrality. Nobody want some traffic to be favored over theirs so even if it would somehow work it will never be allowed.

Solution