[SOLVED] QoS setup

Solution
Be really nics if the manufactures did not put feature on the router you can never use. Thing like DSCP are stripped off by ISP and not used on the internet so why would you even have these on a devices whose only purpose is to connect to the internet.

This looks very different that other routers I have seen. Generally what you do is define 2 groups. 1 is your default internet and the second is the one you want to favor. You then set the priority on the internet lower than the one with the ip addresses it in.

Still I strongly suspect it is a waste of time. If you are like most people your problem is your are exceeding the download traffic rates. Most simplistic QoS like this are only applied to upload rates.

Your router...
Be really nics if the manufactures did not put feature on the router you can never use. Thing like DSCP are stripped off by ISP and not used on the internet so why would you even have these on a devices whose only purpose is to connect to the internet.

This looks very different that other routers I have seen. Generally what you do is define 2 groups. 1 is your default internet and the second is the one you want to favor. You then set the priority on the internet lower than the one with the ip addresses it in.

Still I strongly suspect it is a waste of time. If you are like most people your problem is your are exceeding the download traffic rates. Most simplistic QoS like this are only applied to upload rates.

Your router does not appear to have the ability to affect the download rates.

Stupid stuff like high/medium/low are almost worthless. You need QoS that lets you set actual data rates.

Qos in general is of limited value. It generally is a bandaid until you can get more bandwidth. It does not actually increase you bandwidth in any way. All it does is control who is going to be the most unhappy with the internet performance.

Solution

alanps

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013

Your router does not appear to have the ability to affect the download rates.

Stupid stuff like high/medium/low are almost worthless. You need QoS that lets you set actual data rates.

Qos in general is of limited value. It generally is a bandaid until you can get more bandwidth. It does not actually increase you bandwidth in any way. All it does is control who is going to be the most unhappy with the internet performance.
Hey thanks for the reply! :)

If you see the link I sent, there's a pic that shows there's an option that let you set a "rate limit" of some sort.
That would work?

My problem is that I share my flat with 6 more people and I can't play some games because it's too laggy. Most of them download movies and tv shows from torrents, that's why it gets so Removed up all the time :(

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a LIMIT not a minimum or something like that. You would have to find a way to limit all other traffic.
Still I think it is UPLOAD and not download setting.

If you have people running torrents almost no QoS will fix that. It is designed to not be easy to limit since ISP tries to limit torrent and the people who wrote the torrent code tuned it to avoid the limit.

The only way you might partially get this to work is with a different router. You would define rules that set the maximum and minimum for each person in the house. You would in effect chop say a 40mbps connection into 4 10mbps. The problem with this is that even if someone is not using their part nobody else can use it.

Torrent is one of the few things that can kill the largest internet connection. It is one of primary reason ISP implemented bandwidth caps.