QOTD: Do You Buy Extended Warranties?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Nope if I have the gut feeling I need the extended warranty, I look for somebody else to buy from. Extended warrantys are just another way to take money out of your pocket.

mkatz2m

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
No, because if something breaks out of warranty, typically the cost of the repair is less than the cost of extended coverage itself. Further, I understand that extended coverage payments greatly increase the profits of the sellers. They hardly ever lose any money on the coverage.

ph3412b07

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
I personally don't buy extended warranties, but I know someone who does, and gets their money worth too. He's utterly destroyed his laptop 3 times, and had it fully replaced with a better/equal laptop every time without delay. If you're reckless with gear, might as well get the warranty.

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
I bought a 5.1 Samsung home theater system about 1 year 1/2 ago and i had bought a 4 year warranty with best buy that cost me roughly $60 bucks. The warranty on the samsung was 1 year. After 1 year 1/2 it finally burned out on me i guess i relied on it too much, but things are meant to break down eventually. Things these days break, burn out easily. Companies are useing cheaper materials or something to get a buck here and there. But since i have the warranty with best buy i don't have to worry about going back and paying another $440 dollars on a new one, because with the warranty all i had to do was take it in. Currently waiting from 1 to 2 weeks before i get it back. Beats paying $440 again for a new one i'll say that much. I think if something cost you a lot of money and its a big investment in your pocket buck and they offer a warranty for what your buying that extends to a degree that is reasonable, i'd definitely get it, its no scam. But yes if it doesn't break down after 4 years you got yourself a damn good product.

leon2006

Distinguished
BIG No for desktop. After my Apple-Ee, I build my own PC(PC-XT) and onwards. Never purchase a branded desktop. My home built are always better and more reliable. The desktop that i built get old but never breaks. I pay for premium parts from Power Supply and Up.

Most of the PC i built are ON 24x7 as does things for me while i sleep or leave for work.

Notebook for home-use, i configured my own and buy it from Costco which provides a 2 year warranty without additional cost.

Notebook for work is provided by the company that i work for. I don't pay for it and the company pays for the warranty.

Don't need to pay for warranty....
==================================
LCD display warranty is 3 years
Hard Drive Warranty is 5 years
Get premium motherboards such as ASUS, Intel ...etc. These boards get OLD and don't break.
Mice & Keyboards replacements are a phone-call away from Logitech or Microsoft.
Memory Modules have lifetime warranty
Video cards have lifetime warranty

Good Power Supply and Regular Cleaning extend the life computers.

G

I bought a three year accidental damage coverage warranty for my ~$2000 laptop for about $200, so I think it was worth it, especially since I've already dropped it a few too many times and there's a crack in the case...

Status
Not open for further replies.