QOTD: Do You Buy Online Gold for MMOs?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harby

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
To all those that don't play mmos; we didn't really ask you if you play or if you like em. Why do you post that you don't like them? Please if you don't have something constructive to offer to the conversation you might as well say nothing.

On subject, I was tempted to buy gold back at vanilla wow/lvl60 just for the epic mount but never did. TBC and WotlK, unless you really need gold for something there really is no reason to buy gold nowadays.

b1kshad0w

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2008
I never liked WoW but all my RL friends played it. To me it's a game not about skill, but how much time you play, and it really is. I like to be challenged, most games you start off on a level playing field. In mmorpgs it's more about who spent the most time playing farming better gear. The worst part is my nub friends were on a pve server cause my buddy gets real pissed when he gets pwned. He would never play any games against me without cheating, what a nub.

Long before WoW, I bought gold, er, plat for the original Everquest. Now its available for virtually all MMOs.

The big issue I have with it is gold-seller-spam, and the disingenuous position taken by the game companies. They should be able to stop spam tells and in-game email, but they refuse to create the tools or dedicate the resources. I guess they'd lose too much money.

yoda8232

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Several times, but I do it in the way that a person in-game has to come to me in the game and send me the gold. That way my account info doesn't go out there.

Ed Brown

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Eve Online is my main game.

Funny thing is, they have a completely legal and supported system to buy in-game money with real life money via the PLEX (Pilot's License Extension) system.

Via this system, you can "buy" game time from other players in exchange for 30 or 60 day subscription renewals. CCP (the developer) has even gone so far as to make an air-tight system for such transactions.

As anyone can imagine, this has questionable ethical aspects at the very least.

On the other hand, CCP is absolutely ruthless about slamming down on those who advertise straight up money for ISK transactions in game. A petition vs. an "ISK spammer" resolves in less than 5 minutes, period.

So, overall, it's a mixed bag. Eve almost models "free but pay for the good stuff" MMOs in that aspect.

At least buying the PLEXs is secure and will absolutely not compromise any personal data on either end.

*shrugs*

G

Yep. I still do. But of course, I only buy my wow gold from trusted sites who don't do account hacking and other bad practices. I know this by doing a background check first and if I get an inkling that they're Chinese (as the most shady gold sellers and scammers are there from China) then I avoid them completely.

I know people would still argue about the in-game economy inflation and stuff but to me, I don't believe it. I think that the inflation is just normal to any economy especially when the player base keeps on increasing. That's what happens in real life anyway, right?

Greatwalrus

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
When I was younger and used to play a game called KalOnline, I bought about $100 worth of gold and really good armor. I think it was actually pretty common for players of that game to do so. I tell you, though, that $100 made a huge improvement on my game experience. I can guarantee I would not get as much as I did for $100 today as I did four years ago. I'm not talking about currency inflation or anything, but because of developers fixing loopholes which allowed for trading real world money, making it harder to accomplish.

I recently checked back at KalOnline and found they now earn revenue from players purchasing game items with real money. If I recall correctly from playing, these items are tradeable in game - so you're basically buying in-game money for real money (since you can turn around and sell them).

I played RuneScape for three years after that and never once did I even ever want to buy game gold for real money.

There ya go :)

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I think if Blizzard wants to stop or at least control gold farming they need to do two things:

1) Make every item actually worth having loot/no trade (bound on pickup)…. You can’t purchase it.

2) Create an official blizzard (WoW) website where you purchase and sell gold from Blizzard for real life cash.

Sell gold ½ price.
Buy gold full price (under the going rate)

The “Legal” sale of gold will lower the cost of gold to the point farmers can’t make money… It will also destroy the economy, but it won’t matter since everything worth having is bound on pickup. Who cares if Johnny has 23423423423 gold when all he can do is buy materials to craft stuff for himself.

This alone I do not think will solve gold farming. However it would be a great starting point for discussions as to exactly how to overcome the farmers. Ultimately Botting (farming) is just like torrents or DRM… try as you may, you can not eliminate it. Thus make it undesirable to Farm!!

xTalent

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
My response is "no", I do not buy online gold as it's a sure way to get yourself banned from the particular title you're playing. I will however admit to selling my gold / items to people who distribute / sell these items (and gold).

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
In wow it's so easy to get gold that I could never bother buying any. I've been close to selling gold though, and have also tried to sell my account just prior to lich king. Appearently they're not easy to sell though. But gold sure is.
I have invested in runes for diablo in the past though. it's certainly worth the 8€ for 20 ist runes they're charging. And blizzard only bothers honest players anyway, so your best bet is not to be honest.

haven't played any mmo other than wow, so haven't bought anything for any of those. Can't for sure say I wouldn't though. I'm not rich, but when a little investment saves a lot of grinding I just might find it a good investment.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]nictron[/nom]I have never seen a Gold seller or bought any gold![/citation]
Log into wow, place yourself in goldshire and yell for one - they're always level 1 chars there - at least on stormreaver

Absolutely not, for multiple reasons.
1) I VOLUNTARILY accepted the code of conduct when I started playing Guild Wars, which says it isn't allowed. So I don't.
2) Guild Wars is a mmoRPG. As such, I try to "become" my character when playing. In-game characters have no clue about "buying gold." They do know about going out and slaughtering for loot though (farming), so that's what I do.
3) There would be no satisfaction in doing that. I know the game well enough to be able to get anything I really want. I'll swap weapons, runes, etc. with guildies, but that's just called "trading."

geminireaper

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I cant stand wow so never for WoW. However through my Lineage2 Career I spent around $750 on Adena. It was the only real way to get the top gear you wanted. At least until I found the wonderful world of Botting.

benfea

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
Hell no. Not only do gold farmers significantly impact inflation at the auction house, but their presence in the game means that even those who do not buy gold have to compete with gold farmers for basic in-game resources. You're not just competing with other players for ore nodes and mob spawns, you have to compete with all the gold farmers who are much better than you at getting first dibs on all that stuff. The practice has a negative effect on all players just so that a few lazy bums can pay someone to play the game for them.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
NO! No way I'd buy in-game money for real money - the people that do are weak and need to L2P - or go back to being bottle-fed and leave the real gamers alone! I mean, if you can't make money in WoW because it's too hard for you then you seriously need to go back to kindergarten and tic-tac-toe. Really. Can you say Epic Fail?

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
[citation][nom]cangelini[/nom]It's so easy to farm, why would you?[/citation]
simple - TIME.
Its a matter of how much of MY time is spent farming. If the value I place on my own leisure time is greater than what I pay for the gold (or items) - then im gonna buy stuff (assuming the risks of getting caught in the MMO arent too high).

ive bought stuff for MMOs starting with Asheron's Call, and then others, including WoW.
I dont currently buy stuff for wow, but I did in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.