QOTD: Do You Want Questions From Readers?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Sure - but again, I would never call QOTD "news" and yet it appears here. Also, with non-threaded and non-editable responses, it definitely doesn't belong here. I'm all for user-generated content in the hopes to increase the draw of your site and keep your rankings up, but how about yo make a dedicated section for that. (What? They have a forum here... huh.)

It's really not even debatable.

Questions and polls go unanswered all the time because they are dumb or boring. The fact that the question was asked doesn't harm a soul, including TH.

But yes, you have to moderate questions that are just baiting flame wars. Like "Which is better.... AMD/Nvidia or Intel/ATI" and such.

QOTDs should not result in more than 3 black eyes per 50 responses.

randomizer

Champion

tweak13

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
I could not imagine the overwhelming amount of requests you guys would get that could have been covered a month or two months or even a year ago in an article, not to mention maybe in the forums. This doesn't sound feasible for the guys at tom's hardware.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]tweak13[/nom]I could not imagine the overwhelming amount of requests you guys would get that could have been covered a month or two months or even a year ago in an article, not to mention maybe in the forums. This doesn't sound feasible for the guys at tom's hardware.[/citation]

Just to be clear, we're not talking about people asking for help via the QOTD, we're talking about people asking interesting questions that would spark a great discussion.

Besides, we'd never want to call it quits on an idea because it sounded like too much work!

tweak13

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]Just to be clear, we're not talking about people asking for help via the QOTD, we're talking about people asking interesting questions that would spark a great discussion. Besides, we'd never want to call it quits on an idea because it sounded like too much work![/citation]

Oh I know, maybe I should have worded it differently.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
I say no. There will be too many repeated QOTD's, and some just will be overall needless. My way of thinking on this is, let the readers use the forums and if they want a reader submitted QOTD let it be in there.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]Parrdacc[/nom]I say no. There will be too many repeated QOTD's, and some just will be overall needless. My way of thinking on this is, let the readers use the forums and if they want a reader submitted QOTD let it be in there.[/citation]

How do you figure there'll be repeats? We'll probably get tons of submissions and even if we ever ran out, we'd never post the same question twice!

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Exp. Sooner or later it just seems to always happen. The question may not be a repeat word for word but the premise will be a repeat. Not saying it will happen here, hope not, just a little concerned in that area.

Caffeinecarl

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
Definitely. Make an e-mail address we can send USEFUL questions to, and pick the best ones. However, along with the current QOTD format, I'd also like to see a multiple choice poll accompany them for both an at-a-glance view and the in depth view we currently get with user submitted comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.