QOTD: Have You Bought An SSD Yet?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
No, like many posters I too will wait for prices to actually reach reasonable levels before even considering one.

Then there is this issue: "2) They address the short write life. IE once they can remove the wear leveling crap."

That's more important than price.

Mr_Man

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
The OCZ Vertex series makes it REALLY appealing, but the problem is that I would still need a conventional hard drive because of the video/audio editing I do. I've settled for getting a great computer with a good HDD (WD Caviar Black 640GB) and get an SSD sometime in the future for my OS and programs, then use the HDD for media only.

No need. I'm happy with my WD 1TB Black edition. Even though I'm not using most of it, yet, SDDs don't have enough capacity for me. If I want more disk performance I can add another 2 for RAID 5. Not only that, but I don't like the short write life of SDDs.

talys

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Yes. Intel X25-M 160GB, and I've installed firmware 1.1. Bought it instead of the X25-E because of hard drive size. Most noticable upgrade ever; reminds me of P4/4GB -> Core/8GB upgrade.

tleavit

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I have the Samsung SSD's in my main computer 2 x 64 in raid. I have a 64 gig Samsung in my Play Station 3 and I have a 32 gig version in my Dell Latitude laptop. I've had about 5 sets or rapter drives in my PC's over the years and I love the SSD's. My entire room is no longer dominated by hard drive chatter.

tleavit

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
By the way, with only a 6600 quad core, Vista X64 loads in about 3 seconds with 2 Samsung SSD's in raid. The Vista load bar basically flashes up and maybe scrolls one and I'm in Vista after Bios post. That was a good 5 seconds faster the rapters in raid.

fuzzymath10

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
The difference is unbelievable. I just bought an X25-M (80GB) for my Dell D630 and it doesn't even begin to compare with the 160GB 7200.3 I had before, which is one of the faster drives you can get for a laptop.

The lack of noise and heat + reduced power usage are all icing on the cake.

I will probably get a small one for my htpc soon, but my desktop drives don't feel nearly as slow as my 7200.3 did. Plus, 2TB of flash storage isn't going to be cheap.

G

i Have a Dell Percision M6400 with raid 0 between a dell samsung 128FB RBX and a corsair 128GB SSD i would have to say they are fast. IT is the FASTEST boot i have seen (actualy second fastest i saw a dell Percision T7400 with 8 64GB samsung SSDs in a raid 0 that booted to vista in 1 minute 45seconds bios/15 seconds to the os with antivirus and cs4 ect.) It boots to windows in 45-50 seconds 20 seconds bios rest is windows.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]cliffro[/nom]No, like many posters I too will wait for prices to actually reach reasonable levels before even considering one. Then there is this issue: "2) They address the short write life. IE once they can remove the wear leveling crap."That's more important than price.[/citation]
^This, basically^

rags_20

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
I'm confused. I mean, some of the SSDs like those from OCZ have higher capacity and lower prices than the Intel ones. Do these ones have higher access times?

radguy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Yep I picked up a 32gb patriot warp and put it in my msi wind. I turned on some of the tweaks and performance is spectacular except I do see stuttering but its pretty rare. And a 27 second boot up time (after I got everything installed) more than makes up for it. I didn't need the space I mean its a netbook and I just use it for the basics.

I'm planning on picking up 2 60gb vertex's (or whatever is reasonable)for my desktop and putting them in raid 0 when Windows 7 comes out. I really need the price to come down about 40-50% though. We'll see what happens but that would be amazing performance. I wouldn't buy another ssd with a jmicron controller with the vertex and supertalents indilink controller ssds out now.

MoUsE-WiZ

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
I've been considering it. I actually had an order placed for 4x 30GB Vertex in January, but I got bored of the consistent "next week..." from OCZ and spent my money elsewhere.

I'll probably try to get my hands on either a Z-Drive or the next gen Intel drives when they exist.

cablechewer

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
I would like to get one for my games drive to eliminate some HDD lag problems I encounter, but can't justify the cost yet (it would be cheaper to build a stripe set to handle the issue).

I definitely will not use one as a boot drive until I hear fragmentation issues are resolved and they improve the number of write cycles. Windows simply does too many small writes and I have seen several articles on how these drives slow over time as they fragment. Perhaps new controllers will address that...

I am not terribly worried about capacity. If I actually took the time to clean up my HDD I would only have 100-120GB of data and software. Items that don't require speed can stay on a standard HDD for the foreseeable future.

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
I'll get one when it's a buck per 2 gigs and fast. Hard drives are getting bigger than I need them to be and I suppose I could throw in a cheap one for mass storage.

It'd be nice if windows 7 would make SSD ownership easier by making it default to store apps on the boot drive and their non-time-critical data (movies, music, etc...) on a secondary drive.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I spec'd a velociraptor for the system drive in my new CAD workstation. When I replace it in a few years it would probably be appropriate to use a SSD for the OS.

I have considered an ultraportable laptop and some of those make use of SSD's.

marokero

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Regardless of price (well, the more affordable the better), large capacity, reliability and long life are MUCH more important for me, and the photos I take, both professionally and personally. So no, I do not have an SSD yet.

G

Waiting for the price of the 160 GB SSDs to fall - it'll have to be either the OCZ Vertex, the new Samsung PB22 based drives or if Intel drops the price of its X-25M.

I think there'll be faster adoption of these drives if you can get 160 gigs for ~USD 350. Still considerably more then the 7200 rpm drives, but in a notebook, the low power and heat, silent use and lesser weight will be a fantastic upgrade.

WayNorth

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
Yes, I have 6 x Patriot Warp v2 32GB, setup in RAID5. Each drive was about 112.00 Canadian on sale, normal price was 154.00.

Spec's and model is:
Patriot PE32GS25SSDR Warp 32GB 2.5IN SATA2 Solid State Disk
Sequential Access - Read up to 175MB/s
Sequential Access - Write up to 100MB/s

No noise at all from these, very very fast read and write speeds.

Cost of course is the biggest issue still with any SSD's on the market.

caliman64

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Not yet. They're too pricey and don't have enough storage space. I'll wait til the price comes down and the storage goes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.