QOTD: Have You Replaced Windows with Linux?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FSXFan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
When I can play my games on Linux I will consider switching, or at least give it a more serious try. Until then, I don't even see the point in dual booting since Windows does anything else I want just fine too. I don't want to have to reboot my PC every time I decide to play a game and again when I'm done. I'm thinking about getting my kids a netbook though and if I do it'll probably run Linux, whether it comes that way or not.

antemon

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2008
I too use both, but my default is ubuntu. The new version is extremely fast and snappy even on my semi-old PC.

games, windows.

mforce2

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
I have to admit to still having Windows around because there are still a few issues I still have with Linux but I'll probably need it less and lees.
Being a programmer myself I can use the open source nature of Linux and contribute myself.
For example the latest Eclipse version wasn't available for my favorite distro, Frugalware so I just modified it and created a package.

G

BLUESCREEN EXISTS... HANG-UPS ANYONE?... tryng to shutoff your system 20mins... WINDOWS IS SO BAD, HOW MANY MICROF&CKD PROGRAMERS WE NEED TO RUN A VISTA CLONE (W7) ? ? ? ? UBUNTU LOOK BETTER & RUN BETTER... TO GAMES USE A WIN/EMULATOR HA HAHA HAHAHA....

net_admin80

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
I use a Linux distro full time (Fedora to be exact) as the host OS on all of my machines. I do have Windows machines virtualized however...

I'm blown away by the sheer amount of ignorance in this thread though. I don't really mean that in a negative way, just in that I'm amazed at how little even some folks who read a "technical" site such as this know about Linux. Also, I'm amazed how how many people have either half-heartedly tried it (without really trying) and dismissed it as a 'toy', or believe many myths and haven't even tried to try.

I'm not going to be petty and point out anything or any one in particular, but for those of you who haven't tried a Linux distro in a long time (more recently than say the last 3 years), download an Ubuntu, openSUSE or Fedora LiveCD and try it out...you might be surprised at how easy it has become.

Ubuntu will work the "best" out of the box for the average user, since they are based overseas, they have more liberty as to what they can include by default in their distributions as they have no US Patent encumberments. Fedora for example is backed by Red Hat, and is based in the US (North Carolina), and because of those restrictions can't ship the distro with certain codecs installed by default. As a result, the distro is more "free" and has nothing proprietary built in. However, it's very simple to add the RPM Fusion repository and gain access to all you need...Ubuntu does make it simpler for a "first time" user, or even someone who just "wants it to work".

I like Fedora because it's really cutting edge...the Fedora project does a great job of taking the latest packages and somehow making them stable, and as a result they are usually a "release ahead" of Ubuntu, at the slight risk of some instability...I'm experienced enough to deal with it, and adds some spice ;-)

Also, I'm not a distro "fanboy" - I don't care what distro you use, but hey, give something a shot. I use Fedora, but Ubuntu is easier to get set up, and Linux Mint looks very nice as well, is based off of Ubuntu and has even more "non-free" stuff installed by default making it even EASIER to get going :)

P.S. As for the guy who said he would switch when a large, major corporation switched all of their desktops (not their servers) to Linux, last time I checked, Google was pretty major and they run a mix of Windows, MacOS, Fedora and Ubuntu. Red Hat is pretty major too, and all of their desktops run Red Hat Linux Enterprise. Also the entire City of Key Largo Florida runs Novell Suse Linux Enterprise, Shuttle Computers uses Foresight Linux on their internal computers (As well as offering it for sale on the kPC)...these are just a few examples.

echdskech

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
Gaming (Red Alert 1 @ > 640x480) is the only reason I installed Windows back in ~95 (was using DOS). And I guess I will still have to keep at least my gaming PC on Windows until either:

a) the games I (will) play get supported on Linux/Cedega at launch, which is unlikely.

b) I stop gaming, also unlikely.

c) I drop PC for console gaming, probably never.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
So many responses....No I haven't completely, dual boot work laptop with Ubuntu and a bunch of Ubuntu servers and my netbook. My primary rig is vista, I'm a gamer.

G

I suffered with the abuse that was Windows ME until a friend at work gave me his Xandros Linux disk. Since then I've changed over to Kubuntu, then Ubuntu - never looking back.

I shake my head in sadness every time a relative/friend/collegue laments the time taken to clean/defrag/virus scan their PC (weekly!). I also know I can't help them. None are willing to make the switch. Odd.

dmuir

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
Been using Ubuntu for over two years now. I've got Vista on a VM for testing pages in Internet Exploder, Safari, and Chrome. The great thing about Ubuntu, it keeps getting better every 6 months. Windows you've got to wait about 3-4 years (2-3 years between releases, then another year for the first service pack and drivers).

G

I haven't had my primary system as Windows since 2005, been running openSuse ever since. While my wife's laptop uses XP, and the HTPC uses Vista HP for media center (because I can't get my TV to work with linux very well), I will always prefer my linux box

G

I have a windows/ubuntu dualboot. Lately, I have noticed myself thinking when I start up my PC: "Should I go ahead and boot XP? Or should I go the quick and easy way?". Ubuntu boots and is ready to load firefox in a matter of 30 or so seconds. Windows XP needs to start avast, comodo firewall, *yawn*, finish up, hang for a second, then be ready. Ubuntu loads in seconds, prompts for my password, and a few seconds later is ready to go.

Of course, there are compatibility issues even with WINE, so I usually end up starting back up with windows at least once a day, or use windows out of convenience when a family member has started it.

I am definitely starting to like love linux, but I'm not quite ready to fully convert.

G

I have had a few Dell laptops, and replaced Windows XP and Vista on both with various versions of Ubuntu, starting with version 8.04.The power management isn't as robust as Windows, but installing from scratch is faster than Windows, especially since I don't have to download and install half a dozen drivers and applications after the fact. Ubuntu covers most of my needs with Open Office and multi-platform messaging software by default. It definitely feels much faster than Vista, and in my opinion, Compiz wipes the floor with Aero. I don't need additional drivers for my USB to serial converter (as with Vista and XP). Virtual machines also feel much more responsive; I now only use Windows in a virtual environment for Active Directory, SQL, and Exchange management tools.

The only issue I really have is with the poor sound implementation in which the audio device can only really handle one app at a time. But its no big deal. Games don't even matter much because I do mostly console gaming.

ahmshaegar

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
I did... to try to stop gaming. I'm still on Linux exclusively, but Warcraft 3 works in wine, and I can still play dota on bnet. Self-defeating? Yeah. I fail.

P.S. I thought this would be 100% flame wars. Nice to see the maturity of THG. This is why I keep coming back.

G

I run GNU/Linux on 4 home computers and my work computer. My family uses GNU/Linux. We are always finding something new and fun to look at on our systems... and hey, we've never had to wait for the "Norton Internet Security" to let us have access to the Internet. GNU/Linux is about Freedom. Freedom is what enables humans with technology. Perhaps you could start doing more work in the direction of evaluating GNU/Linux. Technology deserves the Open, Interoperable, Standards-abiding, Freedom-giving GNU/Linux. Down with companies whose sole purpose is to try to force us out of our computers and into their pocket books. Go Technology, Go GNU/Linux.

Shannon VanWagner
humans enabled
digg user bicep

caribman

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
A few years ago I took a decision to start using only applications that were truly cross platform as much as possible. Started with Mozilla/Firefox, OpenOffice and Sunbird (calendar). I had Win 2k on my desktop up until last Nov. I bought this laptop that came with Vista January 2008. Installed Ubuntu 7.10 to dual boot and have hardly booted Windows since. Ubuntu required tweaking for the wireless to work at first but, I have seen it evolve to the point where 9.04 installs and everything works perfectly. It has even offered to install drivers for the built in Winmodem!

Whenever I am asked to sort out somebody's malware infected system, I install Linux on it and tell them that the next time viruses take over their windows installation they can boot into linux instead and still get their work done. The latest Ubuntu install is quicker and more slick than Windows. Once I have prepared space for my Linux partitions, installing 9.04 takes about 20 minutes from a flash drive and that includes OpenOffice and most other everyday applications.. Nothing extra to do but install non-free software like flash, mp3, xvid, divx and other proprietary codecs. I use a separate home partition so I never have to worry about documents and settings when upgrading even if I format my system drive. After I let somebody use the laptop in Windows for a short while, they ended up installing the fake AV360 antivirus/trojan. I then had to format my system drive and re-install. What a PITA after linux and it takes like, forever.

Now that I'm used to Linux, many things about Windows just seems so wrong. Still run XP on the netop I used to replace my desktop for data logging since one or two applications for data logging require windows. Haven't used the desktop monitor for a while now preferring to use remote desktop instead. Cant see myself going back to windows for anything other than special applications that require it and I will continue to try and avoid those.

G

I've switched to Ubuntu and since that day I couldn't be happier with my OS. Conficker infections prompted this change. But as to your assertion that windows has better hardware support- I installed Windows Vista on my laptop, and had the lovely task browsing the manufacturer website for system drivers, while every piece of hardware- even my integrated bluetooth had been installed with the drivers. I'm sure if you're a fan of world of warcraft, you're not going to switch since it's the only thing you care about in an OS. For those of us that have moved on in life, Ubuntu is an operating system by adults, for adults.

G

I am. All of my computers run Linux. I had dual boot for about a year, but saw no need for it (went months without even seeing it) so I removed Windows, and went pure.

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
I haven't made the complete transformation just yet, but I'd say I am somewhere on the 90-95% Linux side. Most of the games that I like either have native Linux versions or they run decently in WINE. There are a few straggling programs that I need for school that I just didn't have time to see if I could make work with Linux, otherwise I'd probably be up to 98% or so. Anyways, it works great for me and I enjoy the fact that I get so much control and so many great tools for free. Hopefully we will soon get better support for Linux from the hardware vendors.

G

I am using only Ubuntu for 3 years. I do not miss windows (my god what a question!) and the thing that make me switch is windows! I have been abused by windows for a long time if i could i would sue the bastards. If you didn't tried Ubuntu for at least 2 months (give it a fair try) please don't express you opinion you make fool of your self

G

I have tried many, many distros - always dual-boot with WinXP. Now most of my favourite games and software is on OSX, I would switch to that next if given the chance.

Linux needs to give up on their high-minded stance on proprietary drivers - ALL drivers on Windows are proprietary, and it doesn't cause the least bit of trouble (unless you are using 10 year old hardware).

G

I've completely replaced Windows with Fedora Linux since 2003.
I do everything in Linux, I even develop (C++/GTK) applications in Linux then cross compile to Windows, and use Windows in a Virtual Machine for testing.
But I'm very careful to buy Linux compatible hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.