QOTD: Have You Replaced Windows with Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dax corrin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
I have not used Linux, nor do I plan to. I'm mostly a gamer with some research on the internet as a side hobby. Windows does everything I need and I have no problems with it. I plan on staying with Microsoft products for the forseeable future.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
I've played around with a couple Ubuntu distros, but I've never used them for any significant amount of time. When I rebuild I might consider doing a dual boot with Vista/7.

yingwuzhao

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Yes, I did it about a year ago, and couldn't be happier. I used to have dual boot of win and linux, mainly for gaming under windows. Then I simply stop gaming, and delete the windows partition.

Now I am a happy linux user, I know exactly how the system work, and it work exactly according to what I want. System take much better advantage of the system recourses. Everything I need to do with computer, can be done under linux, and in fact even done better than under windows. Now I simply can't stand the "bloatness" of windows!

Further, linux is generally much more secure, and never need to worry about virus. And it's under active development everyday. You will never stop being surprised by linux!

By the way, I started linux with Ubuntu, than Debian, than finally rest on Arch.

G

I switched cold turkey (Or is it turnkey?) four years ago. I've never been as consistently happy with my computer since. By the way, it's the same computer I built in 2003. I have used only Linux since I installed it. I have since used other people's computers loaded with XP or Vista and I have to say, since I've been a Linux user I've developed a very short fuse for Windows. Especially Vista.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I switch to Ubuntu for a while and went back to Windows because I'm not going to write drivers to make things work the way I want it! Windows does that for me and all I have to do is change a few settings. Not to mention, many internet plugins (like flash) didn't work back in the day.

Why limit myself?

beneukel

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
I have switched to a Ubuntu-only environment at home - except on the HTPC because of Netflix. I switched the server to Ubuntu after I was comfortable with Linux administration. I am able to play any game I want to play, I haven't run into any driver issues in a long time, and any issue I've ever had was easily solved by a Google search - just like Windows...

I have been running Windows 7 in a VM. It seemed good enough to use, but was not better than Ubuntu. It would be fine for my wife's computer, though.

Greatwalrus

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I have been using solely Linux for at least 2 months now, meaning I do not have Windows installed anymore. Before the 2 months, I had Windows Vista installed alongside Linux and would use Windows for things like word processing or other programs that didn't work with Wine at the time. Now MS Office and other programs I needed work fine with Wine, and since I had some disk problems and had to erase the drive 2 months ago, I decided not to reinstall Windows. That doesn't mean reinstalling it is out of question in the future though. Right now I am loving Linux - Arch Linux to be specific.

I started using Linux just in March of 2008.

jeverson

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
I still use Win mainly but have started using Ubuntu Live disc for various tasks. But I just don't think it can ever fully replace Win unfortunately. I am keeping my figures crossed that Win 7 will live up to all the reports and reviews I've been reading. I think Linux has it's places and uses, but mainly they are in the business sector for low cost servers and workstations.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
nope I havent. I cant get linux versions of all the stuff I want to run.

The one linux install I acquired was on 5 1/4 disks which vanished many years ago.

thearm

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
I also work on computers all day every day for Honda. So when I get home, I just want things to work. I don't want to configure a bunch of settings or look up a problem on the net to find out why something is not working (Unless I have to). Windows is trouble free because everything is compatable with it. I have been running Vista since it came out with no problems and I'm now running Windows 7 with no problems.

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
i wouldnt know where to start, ive been a pc user for the longest time. can anyone point me in the direction of a guide to a nice efficient linux distro and setup, something akin to the usability of windows

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Yes, I recently bought a Acer from Newegg for a great price. It came with ME II, I mean Vista. I would watch the HD light constantly run under Vista even with 3Gb of Ram and turning off several services.
A couple of days ago I installed the new Ubuntu distro and it's running fine. My HD light hardly ever lights up after the program is loaded. Battery time has increased. I completely wiped the drive and allowed Ubuntu to have it all. It is fun (I am a geek) learning some new stuff. The 9.04 version fixed a couple things that held me back, after trying the live CD for about ten minutes I committed.
I still have XP on my big Q9650/GTX 285 gaming rig but use it for games, nothing like Far Cry 2 or Fallout 3 at 1920 x 1200. Must use a mouse and keyboard too, no kiddie consols for me.

G

Completely switched to Linux 10 years ago. Currently using Slackware based "Vector Linux" and Kubuntu.

G

Yes, twas forced into a dual boot by my brother, but never went back to Windows. I found that for doing anything besides playing games, Linux is far superior. Web design, programming, etc. The flexibility of open source tools is great, it's just a matter of getting over the Linux learning curve.

G

I work in a school board and we run it like a business, our client base is familial with Windows. Switching to anything else would be impossible.
I dabble with Linux of an on. I see the benefits especially those who can't afford the extra cost of an operating system. Linux Desktop has also come along way. It still lacks in refinement which Windows has, but the best refinement would be OS X. Vista is Microsoft's mistake, our board and many others wouldn't even consider migrating to it. Windows 7, only time will tell.

G

Back in the early part of the decade I tried out linux and thought it sucked. I thought linux fans were delusional. Then in 2005 I tried out linux for a couple years and began to get interested as I saw how fast it was improving, though it still had some deal-breaking bugs. Then I switched to Ubuntu full time two years ago and have never looked back.

The thing with linux is that it just gets better and better. With windows it all works out if the box, but then begins a series of disappointments as your virus checkers and spyware checkers starts to slow it down and the registry gets sicker and loading the desktop begins to take minutes, then after a year or so you have to reinstall the OS, and all of your apps. With Ubuntu you may have a few things to sort out to start with (though much less these days) and then it just gets better, each new version of the OS gets slicker, the apps get better and better, support is brilliant compared to Windows (so long as you're basically computer literate) and upgrading or reinstalling the OS is absurdly simple (and you get to keep all your application settings).

I still use Windows for games occasionally but I would never go back. If you're not tied to Windows for particular applications, make the change. Sure both operating systems have pros and cons but, for me, on balance, its a no-brainer. No way would I ever go back.

G

Yes, I have replaced Windows with openSUSE since version 10.1. I have only had some trouble with Visio like functionality, but I've realized that you must not try to find 1-on-1 replacements for all Windows apps. Rather look to the possibilities that are available on Linux and you will find that your way of thinking/doing stuff may be one sided.

No, I will not switch back. The possibilities are to attractive on Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.