QOTD: How Important is Good Tech Support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
They have to know their way around a server. I already know the basic PC stuff, I don't need someone to regurgitate it for me. Servers though I am not knowledgable in.

Flying Sq

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
Almost never important, all I need is some online support, and a return system. I really don't need support unless a part is faulty, shorts, etc. Then it's only for a refund or replacement.

crystalized

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Now why does tech support have to be free?
Have you already called a plumber and asked him to tell you step-by-step what to do to change your pipes? and for free?
Anybody doing that is dumb, period.
So the old saying is true, what you pay is what you get and obviously if it's free then it is not the best support you'll get.
Also Apple, Toshiba, Sony and Lenovo computers costs a bit more than HP, Dell and Acer so that extra money goes towards the support you receive.

7amood

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
If I see that others are having problems with support, it decreases my interest in a specific brand product up to 50%...

It's only up to how good the performance and features diversity of that product.

G

i have used tech support once for a printer and they didn't fix my problem. That being said... 99.9% of the products i have own have not required real tech support. I just end up googleing the error message and always find my own fix. Bottom line, its not important.

pcxt21

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2008
Honestly the forums here on Tom's as well as the rest of the internet are more helpful to me than any telephone tech support ever was. As long as a company's RMA service if functional, I really don't care about there telephone help line.

adamovera

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
Not important for pretty much all things, networking equipment being the only exception, for me anyway. Bump on the return system +1.

Verdauga

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Tech support is not important for the trivial things for me, I have really only used higher tier support levels. Then again, when making your own boxes you are the tech support. (and it's fantastic!)

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
Tech Support? not so much. Now a good Customer Server Rep, I find those are more important, because I'm more likely to have order/ issues than Tech Issues that I cannot resolve on my own.

But then again....I also do not buy boxed computers, which keeps me from buying laptops/notebooks as well, I just don't like Pre-Built systems.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Tech support is very important, BUT there is more to tech support than a person on a telephone. Software updates are important, drivers, bug fixes, etc. are important. A website where it is easy to find software updates is important. A website with information to help with problems is important. Help forums are important.

My wife and I have 3 Dell's. We have never called their tech support but I've been on their website and downloaded driver updates. I build my own desktops which means one computer may have components from up to 10 different companies. I've never called any of them but I've been on their websites looking for things.

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
The biggest problem with tech support offered by big corporations is that they treat every caller as idiot. Usually takes 30 min to pass through script reading monkeys. Sorry for my rant!
I know the problem and I understand why is that, but what I don't understand is why big companies don't build support system to recognize users who know more then most of low payed technicians they have employed. I had really had to grow thick skin. Usually when I call with problem it requires someone from 3-rd level to respond. How difficult is to mark my account that I am advance user and I don't call because I am looking for the 'any key' on my keyboard.

anonymous x

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
I am my own tech support. As long as there's some way to return the product, and a decent warranty, I could care less about tech support.

blackbyron

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
The problem about tech support on a phone is sometimes, they have exactly no idea what issue a caller is asking. So then maybe some callers would spend hours and hours talking to tech support and problems are still not solved. I'm gonna say tech support is sometimes important, and sometimes not important. Maybe some tech support could be better or worse.

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
I think its VERY important , I called up DFI for one problem and during the call came up with two more which they fixed for me over the phone and I got the MOBO up and running with everything at top speed. =D

So for me if I'm going to purchase anything (laptop) it better damn well have good tech support. ( cause I want to know what I dont already know)

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
You get what you pay for. :)

Pay 10 grand to the likes of Dialogic, and get the royal treatment with a contract SLA that they follow to the letter.

Buy a Dell, get some Joe who gets paid jack and really doesn't give a damn about your problem further than maintaining job security.

Ultimately it amounts to how much the tech is paid. Have a company with well paid techs? They will probably do anything for you, and can solve most of any problem (or they will quickly be replaced).

Low paid techs? They are probably more interested in doing their own thing for improving their skills to make them attractive to other, higher paying employers, rather than focusing on things that will resolve your specific issue with a specific vendor's technology.

iquark

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Anyone reading Tom's is already equipped to handle most issues that tech support would deal with, they'll just search online in order to solve their problems. This excludes cases when you have to call support to verify the need for an RMA. I haven't called tech support since I had an old Micron 133 Mhz that needed to be re-partitioned. Now a days I couldn't care less if there was anyone answering phones at the tech center.

That said, I can see how tech support might be more important to those who are extreme early adopters, but even then you can find forums dedicated to any piece of hardware which has hit the street.

Also, the reason you see more complaints about acer/dell etc is because they have such a large customer base! You're going to have a larger number of support issues when you have 10 times the hardware in the wild compared to more boutique companies. There's just too many people to serve effectively, especially when you have computer illiterates complaining when they can't figure out how to use the internet without having an ISP!

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Somewhat.
Apparantly ViewSonic tech support will only assist me if I'm still under warranty (of which I must prove proof of purchase...).
Though in general, I'll try to solve the problem myself. My local computer shop has amazing tech support though. Bring it in, and they fix it, simple enough (have two VGA ports, one on the mobo, another on the card, and the mobo card only works if the dedicated is deactivated).

HP tech support is somewhat choppy I find...
Open tech forums were users give answers works for most issues... Some random user solved my sound issues for me. =D

Status
Not open for further replies.