QOTD: What Determines Your Upgrade Cycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
If I can play games at "medium" settings and have no lag than I am good. When my system is unable to play games at medium settings it is time for a upgrade.

mcnuggetofdeath

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
Whether I really and truly want to play a game well. At the moment, nothing intrigues me and I can play 90% of what I play at or close to max settings. Since there havent been any major releases recently that i wanted, Its been awhile. Also not having money puts a damper on that sort of thing. Currently waiting for DX11 cards.

MartenKL

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
New Windows OS and old hardware >3 years old, i.e. for me this october (earliest). Have pentium 4 3.2 GHz and Radeon 800 series. Getting i7 and a DX11 graphics card below 200$, 12GB Ram (at least). No new drives or monitors.

dzeric

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
Money, but in terms of when I "need" to upgrade: Full system every 4 years or so, or an upgrade every other year if I don't need a complete system overhaul to do the upgrade.

mcbowler

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
If there is a great game that can be made better with better gear.. then I will upgrade. I think the next revolution for PC gaming will occur 2010 or 2011.

helios2052

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2008
I usually build a system and its total life is usually about two years. After the first year, i will usually do a GPU and harddrive upgrade. A year later I usually build a new system and repeat the cycle.

I only do the GPU upgrade if a new architecture has been released, or if I am adding a second card.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
In the past, it was compatibility with new functionality and an element of speed.
But for the 1st time in a long time, I am truly satisfied with my desktop computing experience. Quad core, 2+ Ghz, 8GB of RAM (4.5 of which is rarely used) Raptor Raid 0 array, connectivity, the ability to use any application I throw at it and get it to run in a timely fashion, from encoding videos to running web-apps... It can all be done and done with little to no lag. With the new OSs I get more functionality out of my TV tuner and have turned my system into a multimedia station. Plenty of screen real estate (2x22" LCD's). I am golden. Thousands of gigabytes of information available... My biggest upgrades involve increasing my storage space (and redundancy).

Now all that holds me back is my mobile computing experience. Even with the upgrade to SSD, and it was a great kick in the pants to my tablet, I still don't use it as a proper extension of myself as far as scheduling and communication. It is just too bulky, and the processor, weight, and short battery life hold it back.

iPhone is getting close to what I am looking for, and my (extremely) preliminary experience with the G1 is promising, but the data plans hold the whole thing back, and as with any 1st generation device, I question its longevity...

So in short, when they find a way to make the snappiness of my desktop right now fit into a tablet that weighs less than 2 lbs, with a battery life that exceeds 10 hours for a reasonable price, and when they come out with a phone that has the features I want with a plan I want, my upgrade cycle will effectively be limited to when I get popped capacitors.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
I have a tendency to buy my GPU a little early instead of waiting for price drops :). Other than that I'm 'usually' patient. Complete overhaul only when I need a new CPU socket.

ph3412b07

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
When $150 can get me a CPU that performs 2x faster. (by then, mobo and ram of a new platform has gone down as well.) My upgrade history has been Athlon 1.0 Ghz, Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz, Core 2 Duo 3.0 Ghz.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
When something breaks or I can no longer play a game at decent settings at a respectable frame rate. Usually every two or three years I have a real big upgrade and every two "cycles" I'll change cases.

When something significant breaks or my PC cannot do well something (eg, a game) that I want it to do well.

That approach is bad enough lol, and anything more is certainly a waste of time and money.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
In the past I have upgraded when I found new hardware that I really wanted. More recently my hardware has been fast enough so I didn't feel any reason to upgrade. I just replaced my 7 year old home desktop, because it got too slow for me. I had upgraded its hard drives and OS about 3 years ago. Earlier this spring I built an entirely new desktop and gave away the old one.

At work I got a new CAD workstation 8 years ago. We replaced it after 4 years with a new workstation, but the old one was performing fine. After 3 years the replacement was very slow, so I replaced it recently. Unfortunately software demands increase as fast as hardware speed and force upgrades. Eight years ago my AMD single core machine running Win98SE and AutoCAD 2000 was as productive as my current 3.8GHz core2 machine with WinXP and AutoCAD 2009. The new computer is approx. 8 times as fast as the original one, the new software is 8 times as slow as the old software. No net gain.

Based on lost productivity at work, I think I should replace my workstation at less than 3 years of age, but my home computer should last 4 years or more.

Lastly, I have a 5 year old laptop that I use for travel. It still works fine, but I needed to run some of our CAD apps so I bought a new laptop recently with P9500 processor. Right now I alternate between the 2 laptops but eventually will phase out the old one.

Ogdin

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
The fps of the games i'm currently playing determines my upgrades.I used to get a new video card every year,but since the 880gtx i've been getting 2 years out of them lately.

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Generally, a thousand dollar system will last me a year; maybe more depending on how great the hardware was when I bought it. Systems that I'm thinking about are the geforce 4 and 8; cards that really could survive for years if you bought at least the mid-range card.

LATTEH

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
games mainly determan when i get a new PC if there aren't any more upgrade paths for my current PC or it would just be cheaper to build from the ground up thats what i do if i start lagin in games at medium settings then its time for another upgrade!

Status
Not open for further replies.