QOTD: What Do You Do With Your Old PCs?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I wanted to build a new rig, I'd find a family member who could use the old one. I've run out now though, so it's a good thing my current rig(s) should still have a few years left in them (with upgrades, of course). Parts from upgrades accumulate until there's [almost] enough to build a new one, then I buy whatever's missing, build the rig, and give it away. The last one went to the Shelter Animal Rescue Group from which my wife and I got two excellent kittens.
Anything broken or useless I take to a recycling place.

jeffredo

Distinguished
Build for relatives off my cast-off parts. Mom's got an Athlon64 3700+ on a socket 754 with a Radeon X850 XT AGP. Perfect surfing the internet rig for her.

My ancient Windows 98 box is still in the closet. It has a 3dfx Voodoo5 PCI card in it and I don't have the heart to get rid of it. Still fire it up once in a while to play Diablo II (nothing better than Glide for that game!).

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
It usually is just old parts that I sell or give away, being as I build my own. The case stays the same. I usually sell or give the old parts away. I am giving my friend 2x 8800GTX cards next week when I seen him in LA (he is bying me and my wife dinner).

Dave_69

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Trash. Although I still have my first 3.5" floppy drive from 20 years ago, and I keep rolling it over into my current builds. It's an antique, and I like it that way. I'm not even sure it works.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
3dfx cards hold their own ground. I looked at both of mine and they have no capacitors on them which means they could quite possibly live ~30-35 years.

I also have a P233mmx system but it rarely ever gets turned on. When you own two core2duo systems, anything below core2duo is so obsolete that it is difficult to use. With the P4 I just put back together, I am having issues getting accustomed to the loss in speed. It seems to work ok now though since I disabled the onboard sound for windows 7.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Oh and yeah I did find both my 3.5" and 5.25" floppy drives from my 386 built in 1989 and they both still work. I tossed everything below pentium mmx m/b+cpu in recycling several months ago. For some reason I managed to save two 166mmx m/b and cpu no idea why, I have no use for those.

toze

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2005
Since computers are my hobby, I try to keep them up and running. Some friend might need one or someone else. For some reason I like to keep them for long periods of time because:
1- They were hard to buy, assemble, test and use. Some hardware was very expensive at the time, compared to what we have now.
2- For some reason I can not even explain, I like to costumize, format, try different (new) OS's to see how the (old) machines behave.
3- Well, don't want to forget the headaches they gave me when something went wrong! Or setting up the drivers one by one!

Cheers.

toze

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2005
Since computers are my hobby, I try to keep them up and running. Some friend might need one or someone else. For some reason I like to keep them for long periods of time because:
1- They were hard to buy, assemble, test and use. Some hardware was very expensive at the time, compared to what we have now.
2- For some reason I can not even explain, I like to costumize, format, try different (new) OS's to see how the (old) machines behave.
3- Well, don't want to forget the headaches they gave me when something went wrong! Or setting up the drivers one by one!

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.