QOTD: Which Dead Companies Do You Miss?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

z5300

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
Aureal definitely. Even today simulating surround sound is so much more an elegant and practical solution rather than having to dump speakers around you and their requisite cables.

Recently caved in and bought an x-fi for cmss-3d which is probably where aureal's IP went...kinda regret supporting the company that killed off Aureal in rather dubious circumstances.

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
MicronPC... they were pretty much the first premium performance PC builder and now they are completely gone. Top quality components (they were a subsidiary of Micron Semi. (Crucial, Lexan)), they were pre-tweaked with ahead of the time features like bios boot from USB. They sort of just got squeezed out of the market in the end.

powerbaselx

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
[citation]1. amd is Intels ONLY competition[/citation]
In the mass market only (except IBM Cell cpu). On the enterprise server market there are other proprietary CPU companies like IBM with POWER cpus and SUN with SPARC cpus (Motorola prod).

G

When I read the title of this article all I could think of was 3dfx.

Abit Motherboards
Micron PC's
3dfx, Man I loved my VooDoo2.
Cyrix and the MII, RISC and CISC instruction specifications, and a superpiplined core were actually screaming fast, clock for clock blew away Intel and AMD both in their day. But the horribly slow floating point unit was eventually their undoing.

Scooder

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Yes US Robotics is still around and still makes 56k modems - still best in class! http://www.usr.com/products/modem/modem-product.asp?sku=USR5686E

Not dead companies, but I'd have to say Lucas Arts and Sierra of the past. When studios could just brew up any idea and make the game with full support of the publisher, without having to get approval by some suited guy with only $$$ in mind. At least Interplay seems to have some flexibility still.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
3dfx SUX. The idiotic concept of multi-GPU on a card is what makes today's video card so huge and inefficient. Next gen card couldn’t sell well because it couldn’t outperform last gen’s dual GPU card. Nvidia and ATI drag on their development cycle because releasing dual GPU card is cheaper than developing new chip.

3dfx died because it spent too much time marketing multi-GPU setup and let Nvidia overtook them in GPU design. GeForce 2 handy beat Voodoo 5500/6000 in games and can fit in most cases.

Topcover

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
Its a game studio but I miss my westwoods studios EA ruined command and conquer even though RA3 is pretty good it still doesn't feel quite the same

jcknouse

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
from the ancient days:

Datachief hard drives
SSI games
3rd party atari joysticks (too many to mention)

from more recent days:

3dfx of course (owned several cards)
paradise/western digital video cards ( had 2 and both were great)
Everex modems (as good as hayes, and about half the price)

AdamB5000

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
I miss Papyrus and their racing sims. Much of the team is now iRacing, and I thought I'd be deep into that, but dang that gets expensive. I know guys that spend >$300/yr. on subscriptions and content. It almost forces you to race so many races/week that it's easy to get burned out.

It'd be nice to have a supreme realistic racing sim with good net code that doesn't require a subscription and allows you to race when YOU want to race.

hardwarekid9756

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Digital. I miss Digital. I remember dinking around on DEC-9's. That was fun, with those gigantic 8" floppies!

I also miss Matrox. I LOVED Matrox graphics cards. Remember the Parhelia? The triple-head monitor graphics card? I don't know if they're still around, but I know they pulled out of mainstream and that's depressing. I still have my Max-PC mag when they reviewed the Parhelia and said it would be the future of gaming. Bill Gates/kilobytes gaffe, anyone?

powerbaselx

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
[citation][nom]hardwarekid9756[/nom]I also miss Matrox. I LOVED Matrox graphics cards. Remember the Parhelia? The triple-head monitor graphics card? I don't know if they're still around, but I know they pulled out of mainstream and that's depressing.[/citation]

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/

I guess you still can buy Matrox graphic cards... they're promoting those triple-head to play with World of Warcraft so...

havo

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
The list is long, MicroProse is #1 for me (Master of Orion anyone) after that we have 3dfx, USR, Origin, and many others. I also miss companies like Creative when they did new and different things.

I miss Atari, was sad to see them go. 3do, not so much for their machine as for the software. Like Heroes 1,2, and 3.

Kinda miss the old days when a game just had to be fun, didn't need to make sense or have a storyline. Why not just make a fighting game without the stupid backstory that no one pays attention to anyway?

Guess that's why I enjoyed Serious Sam so much, definitely an old school kind of game. I wish there were more games like that around.

Oh yeah, I really miss Game Player magazine. I miss Bill and the box. (sob)

G

Thank you! Finally someone who mentions LGS!
IMHO, System Shock and Thief series are by far the best games ever and to this day still my absolute favorites!!! I still play both sets of games these days!
Also miss MicroProse - F1GP was the most awesome F1 at the time;
Honeywell-Bull (unless they're still around) - brand of my dad's first computer(100MHz Pentium CPU!)
LucasArts Games Adventure series - Monkey Island and Indy were the most fun and best adventures ever made!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS