[SOLVED] Quad channel RAM

Syn89

Commendable
Feb 10, 2021
I want to purchase new ram for my PC. I'm looking at the Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 3600mhz and i want 4×8 Gb. Do i need to get a quad channel kit or can i get 2×dual channel kits? My reasoning is, if they are the same, two separate dual channel kits shouldn't be a problem, but i wouldn't want to risk having any issues....what do you think?

Solution
If you want 4x ram then yes it's best buy them all in a kit if possible. Afaik it doesn't matter if they're advertised as 'quad', they should still work in dual channel. Have never known of quad ram specifically requiring themselves together to operate.

popatim

Titan
Depends on your motherboard. If you have a CPU/Motherboard that uses quad channel ram then buying the quad kit is best.
If your motherbd is dual channel then 2 dual channel kits should work. Keep in mind that you may lose overclocking ability when you populate all 4 slots of your dual channel board. Some manufacturers sell 4 stick kits they certify will work together on a dual channel board.
Corsair, Kingston, & Crucial all have memory configuration sites to show you what they have tested in your motherboard.

Endre

Reputable
I want to purchase new ram for my PC. I'm looking at the Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 3600mhz and i want 4×8 Gb. Do i need to get a quad channel kit or can i get 2×dual channel kits? My reasoning is, if they are the same, two separate dual channel kits shouldn't be a problem, but i wouldn't want to risk having any issues....what do you think?

If you want to be 100% sure that it will work, then you should buy a kit of 4 modules.

kanewolf

Titan
Unless you have a Xeon or a Threadripper, you will probably get more stable XMP with just two 16GB DIMMs. Desktop CPUs are all dual channel memory controllers. Quad channel memory doesn't exist for desktop CPUs.

Syn89

Commendable
Feb 10, 2021
If you want to be 100% sure that it will work, then you should buy a kit of 4 modules.
At the moment i have two dual channel kits from hyperx fury black which i bought separately and they work just fine...didn't try any overclocking, but on these new ones i will and i want to be sure there wouldn't be any compatability issues

Syn89

Commendable
Feb 10, 2021
Unless you have a Xeon or a Threadripper, you will probably get more stable XMP with just two 16GB DIMMs. Desktop CPUs are all dual channel memory controllers. Quad channel memory doesn't exist for desktop CPUs.
I know i won't have them running in quad channel but i wanted 4 just for aesthetic reasons...

At the moment i have two dual channel kits from hyperx fury black which i bought separately and they work just fine...didn't try any overclocking, but on these new ones i will and i want to be sure there wouldn't be any compatability issues
While it can work like it has for you previously it does not always work. I have run into this once myself trying to mix 2 identical DDR3 kits. Take a look at the odd man out section here https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...y-ram-and-xmp-profile-configurations.3398926/

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If you want 4x ram then yes it's best buy them all in a kit if possible. Afaik it doesn't matter if they're advertised as 'quad', they should still work in dual channel. Have never known of quad ram specifically requiring themselves together to operate.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS