Quad core cpu showing as 2 cores 4 logical proccessors?

Solution
because that what it is. it is 2 modules of 2 cores. each of the 2 cores in a "module" shares resources so that it can't be truly considered separate cores, but you do get 2 threads from each module. you get more out of each core than in say a hyperthreaded dual core i3. not saying it is better than an i3 cause it's not. but i am saying the effeciency is better this way. if the ipc of the cores AMD uses was the same as an i3 core, then this set-up would net better performance than hyperthreading.

hyperthreading is not the same thing. that is a way to increase the overall work done from a single core. an i3 is 2 cores but each core has an extra controller that keeps it running as close to 100% as possible. not the same thing as what...

nathanstrainrocks

Reputable
Jun 10, 2015
I am not certain about this however I know that Earlier quad core processors literally were two dual core chips in the same CPU. I know that that is how the Core 2 Quad did it and the AMD FX. I don't believe this is very different. So yes there are actually 2 pieces of silicon on your CPU each with 2 cores.

antoine21839

Respectable
Jan 4, 2017

No, core 2 quads have 4 real cores and no hyperthreading.

nathanstrainrocks

Reputable
Jun 10, 2015

When AMD says X4 in a CPU name it is quad core. If it were dual core with hyperthreading it would say X2.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
because that what it is. it is 2 modules of 2 cores. each of the 2 cores in a "module" shares resources so that it can't be truly considered separate cores, but you do get 2 threads from each module. you get more out of each core than in say a hyperthreaded dual core i3. not saying it is better than an i3 cause it's not. but i am saying the effeciency is better this way. if the ipc of the cores AMD uses was the same as an i3 core, then this set-up would net better performance than hyperthreading.

hyperthreading is not the same thing. that is a way to increase the overall work done from a single core. an i3 is 2 cores but each core has an extra controller that keeps it running as close to 100% as possible. not the same thing as what AMD has done. there is actually 4 cores in the x4 chip but since each "module" of 2 cores shares resources, i dos not get the full performance it would get if each core had it's own stuff ot use.

Solution

antoine21839

Respectable
Jan 4, 2017

No. AMD calls dual-core + hyperthreading "X4", because their hyperthreading (unlike intel) is "physical" (very very simplified) so they consider they can call it a quad core. https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+X4+880K&id=2747

bignastyid

Titan

Hyperthreading is Intel not AMD.

nathanstrainrocks

Reputable
Jun 10, 2015

"No of Cores: 4 (in 2 physical modules)"

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

again not right. the theory behind hyperthreading is not the same as the "module" set-up AMD used here. hyperthreading is a way to keep a SINGLE core running as close to 100% as possible. netting extra work done as we have seen. the X4 is actually 4 physical cores. not the same thing at all. the cores are hindered by the shared resources but there is actually 4 physical cores on the chip. the FX chips are the same thing. the 6 core was 3 modeuls of 2 and the 8 cores are 4 modules of 2. still 8 physical cores on the chip and not 4 cores with hyperthreading like the i7 is.

bignastyid

Titan
The OS is reading the cpus modules. The 880k has 2 modules with 2 cores each. Each core is not a full core as they share resources.
Here's an explanation of the Bulldozer architecture that cpu is based off of.
http://hexus.net/tech/tech-explained/cpu/32240-amd-fx-series/

nathanstrainrocks

Reputable
Jun 10, 2015

This is relatively what I've been trying to say that whole time.

KyleRaino

Commendable
Nov 7, 2016
I Would not have asked the question if my cpu was a hyperthreaded cpu, but it is not, which is what got me so confused by it, and another question, speccy says my cpu hits 83 c under load, but msi afterburner says about 35 degrees celcius, which is correct? 35 is too cold under load surely

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it's just so different and all anyone knows right now is intel's stuff. so hard for folks to understand a totally different design much less summarize it.

took me a while to understand what hyperthreading actually is and a bit more reading to understand this "module" design. was neat in theory as you just add modules to get more cores, but in practice we saw how much each set of 2 cores suffered due to the shared resources. i doubt we see the same mistakes made with Ryzen when it comes out in april. since they have more resources per core than intel uses from what AMD has been released, it is clear they learned their lesson and fixed the design.

bignastyid

Titan

With the AMD cpu's typical software has a rather difficult time reporting the correct CPU temps the most accurate method is AMD's overdrive software.

KyleRaino

Commendable
Nov 7, 2016

that says thermal margin of 40 c under load, which again seems way too cold

bignastyid

Titan

No such thing as too cold :). You have 40°C degrees of headroom before the cpu starts to thermal throttle.

antoine21839

Respectable
Jan 4, 2017

I think I wasn't clear enough. I said that AMD has "physical hyperthreading" but that was a too simplified explanation and people are starting to get mad at me.
As Math Geek said, it's two PHYSICAL modules of two PHYSICAL cores, but there is still two cores, because your system counts the modules as cores and the cores in the modules as threads.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
sorry did not want to come off as mad. not even close to it. just did not feel the answer was expressing the reality or it. but i can see what you meant by "physical hyperthreading" when you say it that way. never thought of it like that but i can see what you mean by it now.

not the easiest thing to relate it to hyperthreading as intel does it but in a simplistic way it is a rather valid way to think of it

KyleRaino

Commendable
Nov 7, 2016

games like gta 5 run at around 35-40 fps on low, is that normal or underperforming from this cpu (with a gtx 1050ti)

bignastyid

Titan

Sounds about right according to some of the CPU benchmarks for the game.