Quad-Interface Blu-Ray Burner at 12x Appears

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkknight22

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
A step in the right direction, but the media def has not caught up in price to justify it now.

Even those professionals that could make use out of something like this probably have something equivalent or better at a commercial grade level.

ant1-b0dy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
I don't see this going far. I see sites like Hulu seeing double or even triple the users in the next year or so due to the increasing popularity of Netbooks - of which do not have a CD/DVD drive, With Windows 7's simplified and improved file-sharing system; it is now easy for anyone with a Netbook to watch a movie that is in the DVD/Blu-Ray drive of another computer.

ptroen

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Honestly unless I'm buring 100 different blue rays a week this purchase makes absolutly no sense. dvd burners are so cheap now why would you spend like 10x the amount? 1 TB of storage also goes for like less $100. And actually if you have like $300 you probably get like what? 6-10 TB or 200 blue ray disks. And if you need the backup blue ray discs which are mainly movies won't you just go buy the lost copy again?

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]cybrcatter[/nom]hehe, classic Kevin[/citation]

I am frankly surprised he is still employed by THG. He has NO CONCEPT of proof reading.
But, then again, THG really took a dive after Dr. Tom Pabst sold it to "Bestofmedia Group" (which is a bit of a contradiction).

...sigh

Caffeinecarl

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
It's great that they made it multi-platform compatible so Mac users have the Blu-ray option PC users have had for so long now, but why did they have to give it the Mac style price tag?

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Kevin Parrish[/nom]Of course, Windows users have a plethora of more advaned burning utilities.[/citation]

That seems like an attack on Macintosh...
You and Tuan want to go into the boxing ring and duke it out over whose better?
I'd love to see that Mac vs. PC commercial. =D
By the way, spell check please.

$350 is a bit too rich for me, so I guess my $30 internal will have to do.

mook33

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I actually purchased (a while back; don't know if still available) just the quad-connective enclosure, and then can put whatever drive I want in it. Right now it's just a BD-ROM, but down the road (when the discs are affordable), I can swap in a burner...or whatever other optical storage device comes around.
I believe it was ~$90.
Not cheap, but to be able to hook it up to my old PC (eSata card added) or my Macbook Pro (which of course doesn't have a blu ray drive, and is also running eSata via an expresscard, but which I hoookup via Firewire 800) makes it a very worthwhile solution.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
[citation][nom]ant1-b0dy[/nom]I don't see this going far. I see sites like Hulu seeing double or even triple the users in the next year or so due to the increasing popularity of Netbooks - of which do not have a CD/DVD drive, With Windows 7's simplified and improved file-sharing system; it is now easy for anyone with a Netbook to watch a movie that is in the DVD/Blu-Ray drive of another computer.[/citation]

The online file sharing is the precursor to cloud computing. But would you save your entire family photo albums on google? some things are worth burning. At 5 Mb a jpg you need blu-ray.

backin5

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
At last an eSata media burner! (or at least it's the first one I've encountered thus far)

Only problem though is that even a 50GB media (and a very expansive one I should add) isn't all that useful for backup when hard drive space is in TeraBytes.

bucifer

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
I think I'm gonna skip Blu-Ray, and just wait for the next format. It has been too long and the prices still won't drop 200$ for a burner(just checked on newegg). I really can't justify paying that much for an optical drive. Not to mention the media isn't exactly cheap.
I really hate Sony for creating this whole mess.

Skipping till the next format. It shouldn't be long now.

G

We have over 8,000 satisfied customers...

2 days ago his site said he had 5,000 satisfied customers, that's a lot of mouse pads (1d Free, not 2) to sell in 2 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.