[SOLVED] Quadro and RTX cards in 1 pc?

rren

Commendable
Feb 2, 2021
I know it's possible based on Tom's forum answers. But I just want to make sure because I'm building a desktop and I want to use P2200 Quadro card for AutoCad Revit program and a RTX 3070 card for Chief Architect both programs have different requirement. Well they work in one desktop without setting up switches or setting? Can I open Revit on one monitor and open Chief Architect on 2nd monitor? Sorry I'm not good with computers. Many thanks!

Solution
I know it's possible based on Tom's forum answers. But I just want to make sure because I'm building a desktop and I want to use P2200 Quadro card for AutoCad Revit program and a RTX 3070 card for Chief Architect both programs have different requirement. Well they work in one desktop without setting up switches or setting? Can I open Revit on one monitor and open Chief Architect on 2nd monitor? Sorry I'm not good with computers. Many thanks!

Firstly, yes it will work, however make sure you have a motherboard with enough full length PCIe slots in it and a very good quality high output power supply as the RTX 3070 in particular uses quite a bit of power.

In terms of using them on different applications, you can either...

Firstly, yes it will work, however make sure you have a motherboard with enough full length PCIe slots in it and a very good quality high output power supply as the RTX 3070 in particular uses quite a bit of power.

In terms of using them on different applications, you can either configure it through the nVidia software, or you can right click on the application you want to run and choose the 'Run with graphics processor' and point the software to the gpu you want to use (there may also be options in the Cad software itself). If you are running dual screens, easiest option is connect one screen to an output on one card, and the other screen to an output on the other. I think Windows should default to use the gpu the screen is hooked up to.

Reactions: rren
Solution

rren

Commendable
Feb 2, 2021

In terms of using them on different applications, you can either configure it through the nVidia software, or you can right click on the application you want to run and choose the 'Run with graphics processor' and point the software to the gpu you want to use (there may also be options in the Cad software itself). If you are running dual screens, easiest option is connect one screen to an output on one card, and the other screen to an output on the other. I think Windows should default to use the gpu the screen is hooked up to.
So if 2 monitors all I have to do is out put from each card and I can just move Revit to Quadro card monitor and move Chief Architect to RTX card monitor and Windows will automatically know and adjust?

So if 2 monitors all I have to do is out put from each card and I can just move Revit to Quadro card monitor and move Chief Architect to RTX card monitor and Windows will automatically know and adjust?

Yes in theory that's all that should be needed (although as I mention there are a number of things that can be done to force the GPU being used).

kanewolf

Titan
The problems with mixing cards is that the drivers can conflict. The order you install the drivers and other factors can determine if it will work or not. I would think AutoCad on the 3070, even without optimized drivers would have better performance than a P2200. My recommendation would be to try it with just the 3070 card.

rren

Commendable
Feb 2, 2021
The problems with mixing cards is that the drivers can conflict. The order you install the drivers and other factors can determine if it will work or not. I would think AutoCad on the 3070, even without optimized drivers would have better performance than a P2200. My recommendation would be to try it with just the 3070 card.
PP2200 is Autocad certified card.

rren

Commendable
Feb 2, 2021
PP2200 is Autocad certified card.
Understood. What is the harm in trying it with just the 3070 ?
I was told by other architects that RTX cards might make it worst