Question Quake 2 on Pi

microtank

Commendable
Mar 26, 2021
Has anyone ever gotten quake 2 installed on a raspberry pi, and if so, can you play it online? Cause something tells me it won’t communicate with a Pi’s Ethernet adapters.

I wonder if the Ethernet adapters will get detected from the Pi for this game
If it's a port it won't run native dos or windows drivers for the ethernet, it will use the Pi's drivers to access the network.
Even if you play it through an emulator, if the emulator can access the PI drivers it can provide internet to all games as long as it is properly set up.

Dosbox for example can emulate IPX using the host's internet.
https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Connectivity

microtank

Commendable
Mar 26, 2021
If it's a port it won't run native dos or windows drivers for the ethernet, it will use the Pi's drivers to access the network.
Even if you play it through an emulator, if the emulator can access the PI drivers it can provide internet to all games as long as it is properly set up.

Dosbox for example can emulate IPX using the host's internet.
https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Connectivity

what version is the Linux on the Pi 4? Cause I bought a 802.11 wifi N antenna, and trying to figure out the compatibility stuff

what version is the Linux on the Pi 4? Cause I bought a 802.11 wifi N antenna, and trying to figure out the compatibility stuff
Most (all?) versions of Linux on RPi use same kernel, so there's not much difference in WiFi support between different flavors. So, your WiFi adapter either works under RPi, or not.

Open a shell, execute "lsusb" and "ifconfig". Plug your WiFi adaoter, repeat these commands, post results here.

Jun 19, 2021
I would recommend buying some WiFi extender with an ethernet port on it so you can connect your Pi to it via ethernet. Best performance by miles if you really need "WiFi" on the Pi.

microtank

Commendable
Mar 26, 2021
Most (all?) versions of Linux on RPi use same kernel, so there's not much difference in WiFi support between different flavors. So, your WiFi adapter either works under RPi, or not.

Open a shell, execute "lsusb" and "ifconfig". Plug your WiFi adaoter, repeat these commands, post results here.

im havin trouble getting the Pi detecting the network dongle adapter. I’ll have to spend more time on it, but I’m so new to Raspbian and Linux right now. But it’s exciting to have my new case set up