QuakeCon 2012: Oculus Rift, Rise Of The Triad, BYOC Gaming, And More

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
52" HDTV as a monitor? and still sit 2' from it? why? no wonder minecraft isn't being played fullscreen!
a HDTV is 1920x1080 (at best, assuming it's fullHD and has no overscan), LESS resolution than my 24" 1920x1200 LCD (which is small enough to be able to see the entire screen at 2' away, and likely has better contrast ratio & response times too).
some people have more money to spend on tech than knowledge of tech, there is one such person.

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Didnt go this year, kinda sad. But Quake con just isnt what it used to be with out that AMD girl there. "FIRST PERSON BRINGS ME A PAIR OF UNDER WEAR WINS A 5990" (back when it first came out).

Antec is a great booth though. My first Quake con I changed shirts and ended up with like 16 tickets from that booth, didnt win crap lmfao.

XZaapryca

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
[citation][nom]Branden[/nom]52" HDTV as a monitor? and still sit 2' from it? why? no wonder minecraft isn't being played fullscreen!.[/citation]

The response time on many HDTV's is 8ms or less. If you're old or have eye strain issues, it's the perfect solution. 3x47" HDTV's FTW. YMMV

[citation][nom]XZaapryca[/nom]The response time on many HDTV's is 8ms or less. If you're old or have eye strain issues, it's the perfect solution. 3x47" HDTV's FTW. YMMV[/citation]

Many monitors have response times that are far lower than 8ms and many HDTVs have response times that are above 8ms.

face-plants

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I love that InWin H-frame chassis. Unfortunately it looks like they're only shipping 10 units to the US initially at $4-500 bucks. Hopefully they ship them in higher volumes some time soon. The hot swap HDD trays and even a bay for an SSD are awesome. Not to mention the super clean design of the thing. The Thermaltake Level 10 is...well interesting I guess. At twice the price of the H-frame and as unwieldy as it looks, I think I'll steer clear of that mess.

billcat479

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
If someone can find something that bad about using a HD tv they will probably never be happy with anything because no matter how far you go there will always be something better out there. And I do mean always.
Switching to a 48" HD was to me a great move. I have a great home entertainment setup now, play games on a nice big screen that looks great, pause it and bring up any of the 4 TB of tv movies and shows and play any of my huge list of music and not have to switch though out a bunch of different hardware for a very little improvement at least to me sounds a lot better in the long run and if I don't go out, get a huge and very expensive 4k setup isn't a real smart option. If you had a smaller good old CRT that looked great and switch to any of todays HD tv's all you can say is wow, looks great. If you never see anything better you never feel the need to get something better. If you always find something better and with a bit of looking you will keep finding better and better and better and never be happy after spending 10k on a 4K HD and then find they have something that will blow it away next year or so and that kind of thinking will be a endless unhappy trip.
At max res on a 1080P games look great, and press pause, watch a HD movie on the same setup, and listen to music while doing some email seems to tell me I got something that is more than good enough.
To think I need a new 3D unit so I can have endless headaches watching a real screwed up system or blow a LOT of money on the next great 4K res setup is a never ending path to hell and I sure don't need to get stuck in that rut of "keeping up with the neighbors" ect.. ect.. yada yada and all that rot.... LOL..
really the only people that are pushing any of the list of so and so better is the people that make money talking people into being never happy with anything that is one year old.
I'm glad they did come out with this HD setup, it is the pinical of having a true home entertainment system in one nice package tied to the computer but until they come out with total emersion holographic bliss I think they did good enough with current 1080P or even 720P setups I've seen do the job pretty good as well. But like this 1080P over the 720P it is just a bit better and they will dish out stuff that is just a little bit better at their own slow rate to soak as much money out of everyone as they can get away with. I mean, wow, lets put on those horrible 3d headache glasses, get 3 or 6 huge monitors and sell the kids internal organs to pay for it so we can really think we got the end all of home entertainment systems...
It's a very sick joke they are playing on us to "keep up or ahead of the Jones's next door to the Nth degree with no end in sight.
I read all over the net people caught in this money pit trap mentality and they are hooked. Better than a good morphine high to them. It's really a very sad thing to watch.
The best is reading the stories of people saying their new 3d is the ticket but if only it wouldn't give me such nasty headaches. Maybe it will cause brain tumors to get real big and their heads will blow up.
No great loss because if they were that stupid to get talked into wasting all that money for something that is pretty lame it will reduce the lower IQ segment of the population so that's a good thing right? Yep, I think it just might be.
The great bason of consumers is a target that will have to be exploited and they seem to have it down pat. Slowly dish out better (all subjective) and better, redo all the movies so everyone has 3 or more versions of each one and then they will take the next step and the next movie or game ect...
I mean your not a true consumer if you don't have 3 or is it 4 reworked star wars movies.... It's really a sick kind of funny isn't it.

[citation][nom]billcat479[/nom]If someone can find something that bad about using a HD tv they will probably never be happy with anything because no matter how far you go there will always be something better out there. And I do mean always. Switching to a 48" HD was to me a great move. I have a great home entertainment setup now, play games on a nice big screen that looks great, pause it and bring up any of the 4 TB of tv movies and shows and play any of my huge list of music and not have to switch though out a bunch of different hardware for a very little improvement at least to me sounds a lot better in the long run and if I don't go out, get a huge and very expensive 4k setup isn't a real smart option. If you had a smaller good old CRT that looked great and switch to any of todays HD tv's all you can say is wow, looks great. If you never see anything better you never feel the need to get something better. If you always find something better and with a bit of looking you will keep finding better and better and better and never be happy after spending 10k on a 4K HD and then find they have something that will blow it away next year or so and that kind of thinking will be a endless unhappy trip. At max res on a 1080P games look great, and press pause, watch a HD movie on the same setup, and listen to music while doing some email seems to tell me I got something that is more than good enough. To think I need a new 3D unit so I can have endless headaches watching a real screwed up system or blow a LOT of money on the next great 4K res setup is a never ending path to hell and I sure don't need to get stuck in that rut of "keeping up with the neighbors" ect.. ect.. yada yada and all that rot.... LOL.
...[/citation]

One year old? We've had 1080p displays for years. It's not even remotely new by technological standards. Beyond that, a 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 display is nowhere near as expensive as a 4K display. I don't know any of us here who are telling people to get 4K displays.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=Property&Subcategory=20&Description=&Type=&N=100007617&IsNodeId=1&IsPowerSearch=1&srchInDesc=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&PropertyCodeValue=1099%3A9242&PropertyCodeValue=1099%3A57803&PropertyCodeValue=1099%3A25153

There are plenty of 2560x1440 and 2560x1600 resolutions displays available for $650 or so to about $850. These are more or less reasonable prices (many people spend far more on HDTVs) considering the features and resolution. Buying them doesn't mean that you have to upgrade again next year. There probably isn't going to be much to upgrade to even by then that is cheap and much of an upgrade.

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]face-plants[/nom]I love that InWin H-frame chassis. Unfortunately it looks like they're only shipping 10 units to the US initially at $4-500 bucks. Hopefully they ship them in higher volumes some time soon. The hot swap HDD trays and even a bay for an SSD are awesome. Not to mention the super clean design of the thing. The Thermaltake Level 10 is...well interesting I guess. At twice the price of the H-frame and as unwieldy as it looks, I think I'll steer clear of that mess.[/citation]

I'm inclined to agree. I included a photo of the Level 10 simply because you rarely see one out in the wild. It might not be the best case, but it's definitely one of the rarest.
-Devin Connors

G

LOL @ the Oculus Rift headset. Only a geek could a appreciate tech that is held together using duct tape.

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]ducttapetime[/nom]LOL @ the Oculus Rift headset. Only a geek could a appreciate tech that is held together using duct tape.[/citation]

It's a prototype, and such things often require duct tape and other household items. The final product (or rather, the renderings of the final product) look much better.
-Devin Connors

jj_Sky5000

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Thank you Devin for posting My level 10 "The Next Level" is the orignal Level 10 case, I Saw the original concept pictures and like the shinier finish than the final production model matte black, so after a month of sanding and polishing each part by hand we started to see the luster come out, also added 3 windows and added water cooling to a air cool case.

Status
Not open for further replies.