News Qualcomm CEO says that the next version of Windows is due in mid 2024 - place your bets on Windows 11 24H2 or Windows 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish Linux would get as much support as windows for games and all so I could just switch e_e...

I hate how MS is taking Windows & I don't want to wait for someone to make guides on how to remove/disable telemetry/cortana/etc (basically features I will never use that just use up resources/steal data they profit off of)

Reactions: khaakon
11 24H2 makes far more since than 12, especially since Microsoft sees 66% of Windows users still on 10 and absolutely nothing compelling them to move on, it makes zero sense to fragment Windows into 3 camps.

And no one needs more than 640MB RAM.

That "last version" isn't much wrong. Win 11 isn't much different than 10, except for the display number.
Win 11 could just as easily have been Win 10 SP2.

Well Windows 11 -did- have to exist because of the TPM 2.0 requirement change which exempted millions of still very capable Windows 10 compatible machines from (officially) using Windows 11.

Windows 12, however, doesn't need to officially exist until there's another major change like that, but I'm betting the companies behind some major software are persuading Microsoft to release Windows 12 so they can sell their non-transferrable licensed software all over again.

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
I wish Linux would get as much support as windows for games and all so I could just switch e_e...

I hate how MS is taking Windows & I don't want to wait for someone to make guides on how to remove/disable telemetry/cortana/etc (basically features I will never use that just use up resources/steal data they profit off of)
You can play a lot of windows games in Linux with Steam, so switch.

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
I hope it’s numbered 12 and breaks a lot of things, but that’s wishful thinking.

I’m doing ne with them because they’re turning lots of OS functions into ML training collection, and I’d rather pay for an OS that r spect user privacy.

pug_s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
11 24H2 makes far more since than 12, especially since Microsoft sees 66% of Windows users still on 10 and absolutely nothing compelling them to move on, it makes zero sense to fragment Windows into 3 camps.

The problem is not the home users but business users. Most companies go from Windows 7 toi Windows 10 and not 11. IMO, Microsoft have to make tools on the backend that make it easier to move out from Windows 10.

Now that the AI CPU's are ready to hit the market I can't see Microsoft updating 11 solely to be a one size fits all for hardware already out in the wild and to service the AI CPU's not yet out.

It's more likely I hope Windows 11 will live longer while 12 get it's grounding.

But this every three year new OS is so short it's getting to be like buying a new phone every year.

Yes I know we did get more years on XP, 7 , and Windows 10 so the three years on 11 is the new norm that is being presented to users. We do not talk about Vista and Windows 8 :rofl:

But with Windows 12 okay sure AI is a big change and maybe justifiable to rush 12 to the market IDK.

I just hope were not at the crossroads like moving from Windows 98 to Windows XP. It was point less reusing that hardware you had under the hood in that Windows 98 machine.

If you moved to XP back than new OS new parts.

Today our parts are extremally powerful and it's just so sad being killed off to early so you need to buy new gear to get back to exactly where you were before + new OS.

Going to laugh my butt off if a GPU like the RTX 3080 is to old for Windows 12. Not because I'm happy but yup forced obsoletion.

"a lot" isn't windows tier support is it?

I don't want to have a game NOT work at some point. (example of how capcom added new anticheat and broke some games compat)
I won't switch until then hence my statement.
Yeah, that's never going to happen though so your statement is just a token statement.
There is not enough money in supporting linux for everything to work on it.

If you want to switch to linux just do it, you don't need any excuses, do it with dual boot or on a secondary PC or device and keep using windows, but do it.

Reactions: MiniITXEconomy
Status
Not open for further replies.