Qualcomm Details the Next-Gen Snapdragons

Status
Not open for further replies.

soulfringe

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
God say it isn't true ! I have had serious consideration for picking up a new phone lately, and this just makes me feel the need to wait longer. I do want those sexy specs now! Oh I am so giddy with anticipation now.

onyx_64

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
And yet, the iphone isnt even runnin @ 1GHz! (yes, they might have a 1GHz, but which is underclocked).. But oh well, it looks "cool" nevertheless! lol :p
Im just hoping that the incredible v2 wud release by the time my contract expires in a few months.. I dont want to have an "outdated" 1GHz phone then! :(

And yet, the iphone isnt even runnin @ 1GHz! (yes, they might have a 1GHz, but which is underclocked)

The iPhone 4 runs a A4 Cortex from ARM 1ghz...

Can't wait for the G3 (if it comes out for T-Mobile), the G2 was already impressive, sporting a 800 MHZ (MHZ!!!!) Snapdragon, but still able to keep up with the 1ghz beasts of the current gen. Plus they actually were able to OC it to 1.3ghz luls Cell phone OCing. (never thought I'd see the day)

Albyint

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
5x the performance? Wow....

I keep deciding to wait till phones get better before i get one. But each time i read about the "next" phone I put it off because it has something ELSE that I want....

By the time i actually get one, Ill want it to be at least tri core or something crazy at this rate......

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]aznshinobi[/nom]The iPhone 4 runs a A4 Cortex from ARM 1ghz...[/citation]

The phone run's the apple A4 at 800MHz, the Ipad runs at 1GHz.

[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]The phone run's the apple A4 at 800MHz, the Ipad runs at 1GHz.[/citation]

http://www.simonblog.com/2010/06/25/iphone-4-teardown-512mb-ram-and-1ghz-cpu-revealed/

My bad, not an A4 but an A8. Still... 1ghz...

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
I don't care if the next gen would be 1.4 Ghz, you can make a faster processor running at 500 mhz for mobile phones and it can outperform a 6-core Core i7 at 4.0 ghz. Just look at Pentium D to Core 2.

[citation][nom]reprotected[/nom]I don't care if the next gen would be 1.4 Ghz, you can make a faster processor running at 500 mhz for mobile phones and it can outperform a 6-core Core i7 at 4.0 ghz. Just look at Pentium D to Core 2.[/citation]

Huh?

A 500MHz mobile processor outperforming a 4GHz Core i7?

And I will look at Pentium D to Core 2. Core 2 whomped Pentium D at a lower clock but these mobile CPUs would die in a fight against a 4GHz Core i7. Well in x86/x86-64.

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
This is very neat - The MSM8960 will boast two next-generation processor cores, which Qualcomm claims will give 5x the performance of the original Snapdragon chip and a 75 percent reduction in power consumption.

tony singh

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
I am so glad to wait so long , the handheld processor tech has now picked up pace. So what's next, dx11 on a nokia n9 ? And AMD & Nvidia fighting to provide GPU for it ...haha

the_wolf88

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
We're not going to see devices with these chips until early 2012 !

It's simple they'll start manufacturing it in 2011 and it'll be ready by 2012 !

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]aznshinobi[/nom]The iPhone 4 runs a A4 Cortex from ARM 1ghz...[/citation]
Eventhough Apple calls the SoC on the iPhone A4 it has nothing to do with the cortex reference. The A4 is a SoC with a CPU based on the Cortex-A8. Also the A4 does have a 1GHz CPU in it but in the iPhone it has been down-clocked.

WarraWarra

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
Love the power reduction / 5x performance, seems they are a bit shy / cautious with only dual core and not the now normal CrApple soon to be quad core ?

Stupid question but surely the Samsung i8000 / Jet / omnia 2 has 2 cpu's 1x 800mhz cpu and 1x 300mhz for data / comm.s so technically it is still the first dual cpu / "dual core" mobile phone ?

vittau

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
If someone had told us in 2007 that we'd soon be scoffing over a smartphone with anything less than 1GHz under the hood, we'd have told him or her that they were crazy.
I wouldn't have... History taught me to never doubt the fast growth of technology.

ImagineTek

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
While improving graphics performance is welcome, and so too power reduction, I'm not sure what great benefit I'll get from multi-core faster cpus. When I look at the things which are cpu intensive form the desktop environment, I don't see myself doing any of them on a phone. Having said that maybe we're not so far away from a scenario where the phones come with a an OS more closely resembling a desktop environment and a dock that hooks up to a larger monitor and wireless keyboard/mouse so that your computer really does become pocket-able.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
ugg, why do you need so much processing power in a phone? what are you doing on it? running databases, encoding videos? I just don't get it... what they REALLY need is an improvement in GRAPHICS performance.

nutriment6464

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
Damn, my galaxy s (the fastest phone 2 months ago) feels slow now, duh, even if you buy a phone 4X faster, it will be 4X faster en 6 months, god is technology evolving fast!

Same mistake by Intel being repeated here...

You can pursue high clock speeds as much as you want, but that only gives you small linear increases and it will eventually hit a technological wall.

What should be happening is the optimization of OSes and applications, but I guess that's too much effort.

sudeshc

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
Looks like we are gona be having our laptop like power and performance in Phones...................
Its all about price vs performance better these be priced wisely.

suoeno

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Same mistake by Intel being repeated here...You can pursue high clock speeds as much as you want, but that only gives you small linear increases and it will eventually hit a technological wall.What should be happening is the optimization of OSes and applications, but I guess that's too much effort.[/citation]

I'm with you eddieroolz on this.OS/software efficiencies and optimization should be prioritized (if not at top) and gigahertz race are niche and an excuse for crap codes.

It's proven time and again.At PCs look at Windows 7 for example.Took MS a Vista fiasco to finally realize that they can still properly address shortcomings to make Win 7 work better on older hardware.Way better than Vista in fact by leaps and bounds.Makes you wonder what the hell were they smoking during Vista days.Still that monster we call DirectX aren't helping the efficiency cause really...

People don't seem to notice that 90% of the time probably a majority of users won't really tax max CPU loads and at best by leaving useless bg apps running.

Especially now if we're talking about smartphone SoCs it's just gonna be the same thing.You get shitloads of models with 1Ghz already out there and guess what?The same OS version will be tweaked to run on slower models anyway down the road.

Which means what again?

Status
Not open for further replies.