Qualcomm Intros Snapdragon 805, Internet Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Not 64 bit CPU yet? We are really approaching for devices that will be over 3GB of RAM... So I guess that's what it will be on the U.S. versions of Galaxy S5? Or some other CPUs...

InvalidError

Titan

There is still more than a year left to 3GB being a viable ceiling on most phones and tablets, two for low-end models. There is still a fair market for 32bits ARM chips in the foreseeable future if you include all sorts of devices you can stuff SoCs into but Qualcomm might miss the higher-end sales since 4GB will most likely be the high-end norm by year's end.

For most everyday use though, it will probably take a few years for 4GB to become a significant advantage over 3GB.

TheinsanegamerN

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
Nice. Hopefully there will be some nice tablets with the 805. the tegra 3 in my nexus 7 is nice and all, but i look at my friend's asus transformer with keyboard and dock and just kinda drool at it. hopefully 10 inch asus transformer with snapdragon 805 and 3 GB ram please!

TheinsanegamerN

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
Nice. Hopefully there will be some nice tablets with the 805. the tegra 3 in my nexus 7 is nice and all, but i look at my friend's asus transformer with keyboard and dock and just kinda drool at it. hopefully 10 inch asus transformer with snapdragon 805 and 3 GB ram please!

isn't that asus transformer line up usually use tegra? the latest flagship TF701T are using T4 and the new TF502T are based on T3. most likely next year flagship will be based on T5

TheinsanegamerN

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011

yes, they do use tegra. problem is, the tegra 4 doesnt have nearly enough memory bandwidth to drive the 1600p display. the most common issue is that people say that the tablet is slow and laggy. the 805 has twice the bandwidth, and, if the article is accurate, 40-45% more gpu performance. much more preferable for a 1600p 10 inch tablet.

the review done on TF701T shows that it was quite snappy even running games on such high res. also TF701T has been updated to android 4.3 recently which comes with TRIM support. anyway snapdragon 805 most likely go head to head with tegra 5 next year. tegra 5 not officially launch yet but nvidia already send sample for partners since july.

TheinsanegamerN

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011

user reviews of the tf701t suggest otherwise. as for tegra 5. this is nvidia. itll be late to the market, and will be overhyped and slower than nvidia claims. just like tegra 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Tegra 3 indeed is slow but not tegra 4. Performance wise it is quite comparable to snapdragon 800. Even game developer like vector unit admit that they were dissapointing with tegra 3 performance but totally agree that the performance of tegra 4 really fly. I think this time tegra 5 can be on time. Last time we didn't heard anything about tegra 4 until december 2012. But this time we already heard they talk about tegra 5 since july with actual working chip no less.

Status
Not open for further replies.