Qualcomm Preps Snapdragon S4 For Windows RT

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardcore_gamer

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010

It might happen when the CMOS scaling hits a wall. Then there will be a fair fight between architectures, and the most efficient one will win.

pedro_mann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Windows RT - The hottest technology to avoid for 2012-2103.

First of all the name is ugly (I'm thinking the guy who named Zune and Windows RT must be related)

Secondly, we all know that mobility is the future, cross platform integration is completely awesome, and Microsoft has the potential to tap all markets. But, It doesn't need to be done by sabotaging the existing Windows ecosystem. This puts Windows 8 and Windows RT as the top products to avoid.

Also, did I mention that Windows RT doesn't play nice in the Enterprise environment? First of all, either they rushed this to market and didn't have time to implement AD, OR they purposely left it out so they can milk a monthly fee for management tools.

Bottom line, sabotaging what you already do with excellence, is not a good way to try to drive your stock price up. Better way is to force a change of leadership, someone who is a bit more creative, and can come up with solutions that are good for all markets.

Edit: While I am up on my soapbox, I might as well mention Windows Media Center for a second. This is not a good product to kill. The reason why I like it so much is it is something M$ pioneered in. Are they really going to give this market away to Apple and Google? They should be a front runner, and trying again until they succeed. As it ties into Windows RT and mobility, A nice digitally connected lifestyle with WMC pulling in media from all sort of different hubs, Cable, OTA, online etc, and distributing this out to all connected mobile devices + extenders, would leave no room for an Apple TV in my house. Unfortunately, they've already missed it, even though they've been in the market for 10 years. Sad, really sad.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Got one of these in my Android and it's fast! I never notice any lag. It may not be a core i7, but it's damn fast for a mobile device.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
I'd like to see benches btwn Windows 8 RT and one with an intel cpu (or even AMD) in similarly configured systems, mainly tablets/notebooks.

kendrose

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011

I agree completly. I have been using WMC for years, and even recently built a HTPC/Media server based around WMC. The ability to replace every single device in my entertaiment cabinet with a single small computer, and have it all wrapped up in software that is easy and efficent to use with just a IR remote? WHY the CRAP would they give up on that? It just needs better marketing!!! Nevermind that i am now saving $30 a month on my cable bill because I dont have to rent any equipment AND I have a DVR now. Why oh why wouldnt they market that? The savings alone will pay for my HTPC in 3-4 years!

Status
Not open for further replies.