Qualcomm Snapdragon 801: Performance Previewed

Status
Not open for further replies.

MANOFKRYPTONAK

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
I really am looking forward to the showdown between the A7/A8, Tegra4/K1. and Intel "what is the name of the chip in the nexus 8?". I hoping to see a worthy $500 upgrade.

anthony8989

Distinguished
Great article - very informative. Sorry if it's off-topic, but the HTC One (M7 2013) uses an APQ8064T. Did Qualcomm change the meaning of the second numeral from Snapdragon 600 to 80x? The HTC One M7 employs a modem yet now the second numeral being 0 indicates no modem. Or does the device substitute another modem off the SoC? Also what does the "T" suffix mean? :)

EDIT: I realized APQ also indicates no modem so I'll just assume that they supplied an off-SoC modem for the device. Still would like to know what "T"stands for.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Isn't Tegra K1 (aka Logan) having something else? Project Denver CPU was supposed to be part of Parker SoC as per nVidia's 2013 Tegra roadmap, unless I am missing something.
Nvidia_GTC_tegra_roadmap_with_Denver.jpg

edlivian

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
So if you already have a device with a snapdragon 800 you should hold off for a real improvement, like snapdragon 1000 or 1k or whatever marketing jibberish they want to name it.

edlivian

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
So if you already have a device with a snapdragon 800 you should hold off for a real improvement, like snapdragon 1000 or 1k or whatever marketing jibberish they want to name it.

Vistouf

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
From Wikipedia :"SKU refers to a stock-keeping unit, a unique identifier for each distinct product and service that can be purchased in business."

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
They compared two different manufacturers devices from two generations in order to extrapolate something about the chip? Huh? What about differences in hardware implementation, software, memory, and all the other things that can independently effect performance? Would have been much better to wait and have more comparable devices to test.

geekweeks

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014
This is one of the best Processor in Mobile technology , I love this processor lucky to that i bought sony experia m with this processor . Soon I will write review on my following blogs <a href="//www.GeekWeeks.com/">Geekweeks</a> <a href="//www.hditweb.com/">HDITWEB</a> <a href="//www.newsisoft.com/">newsisoft</a>

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
There is obviously something wrong with the memory subsystem (at least) on that Xperia platform you're using. In no way should the 801 have any regression compared to the 800. Did you contact Sony and ask if there's any known issues that would explain the results you're getting or just WTF is going on in general? As a result of the issue this article's headline should be "Sony's preproduction Xperia platform has issues" or somesuch. As it is, this isn't a real review of the 801.Also, I'm going to harp on this every time I make a comment on this website from now on: this comment system sucks. Badly. You need to find a new solution. Even the previous comment system was miles better.

Dorian Black

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
There is obviously something wrong with the memory subsystem (at least) on that Xperia platform you're using
Indeed, and it's something we noted right from the first benchmarks we ran. It's even noted in the article - you can see it covered in the AnTuTu and Geekbench sections, specifically and throughout the other benchmarks we ran and analysed. It's clear that tablet had some definite issues with it's memory and I/O subsystems. I think it would've fared substantially better had they been resolved.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
There is obviously something wrong with the memory subsystem (at least) on that Xperia platform you're using
Indeed, and it's something we noted right from the first benchmarks we ran. It's even noted in the article - you can see it covered in the AnTuTu and Geekbench sections, specifically and throughout the other benchmarks we ran and analysed. It's clear that tablet had some definite issues with it's memory and I/O subsystems. I think it would've fared substantially better had they been resolved.
Yes, I know it was referenced in the article. My point was that the issue which is clearly with the device is substantially affecting the results, and therefore this article doesn't really live up to being a preview of the Snapdragon 801's performance.I recognize that it's not your (the author's) fault, but still. Also, my question still stands: did you guys attempt to get any feedback from Sony about the issue? The possibility of getting a sample that works properly?

Dorian Black

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
Yes, I know it was referenced in the article. My point was that the issue which is clearly with the device is substantially affecting the results, and therefore this article doesn't really live up to being a preview of the Snapdragon 801's performance.I recognize that it's not your (the author's) fault, but still. Also, my question still stands: did you guys attempt to get any feedback from Sony about the issue? The possibility of getting a sample that works properly?
I'm not sure that's entirely fair - we did prove that the MHz boosted Adreno 330 of 801 is substantially faster in tests where MHz matters - fillrate, for example. In that test it does beat an 800 AB (Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4) device quite soundly. At the time the results were recorded there were no other Snapdragon 801 devices in operation - in fact, the results were take from a Sony Xperia Z2 Tab at a press junket, which explains why it's not a final device. Sometimes we have to take what we can get. Of course, we will be following up on a more detailed review of a final device as soon as we can. Also, we'll be reviewing another Snapdragon 801 device very soon. Can't say much more. :)

becherovka

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
LG G3 will be Snapdragon 805, so if this is the phone the new nexus is taken from then.. It looks like Lg might get a third go at Nexus.

Treynolds416

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
There's a typo at the end of the second to last paragraph on the second article page. You wrote "801 9874AC" when I think you meant "801 8974AC".

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
I'm not sure that's entirely fair - we did prove that the MHz boosted Adreno 330 of 801 is substantially faster in tests where MHz matters - fillrate, for example. In that test it does beat an 800 AB (Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4) device quite soundly. At the time the results were recorded there were no other Snapdragon 801 devices in operation - in fact, the results were take from a Sony Xperia Z2 Tab at a press junket, which explains why it's not a final device. Sometimes we have to take what we can get. Of course, we will be following up on a more detailed review of a final device as soon as we can. Also, we'll be reviewing another Snapdragon 801 device very soon. Can't say much more. :)
Fair enough. Thanks for the answers and looking forward to the future reviews!

P.S. Comment system still sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.