Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 Gets Next-Generation Adreno 530 GPU, DSLR-Quality Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

gangrel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2012
With all the issues with the 810, they need to get the 820 right. I don't need anything at this level myself, so I'm oriented more to the 618 or 620, and possibly even the 425. We're starting to see the SoCs moving on a path a lot like CPUs...the lower-tier ones are getting to be quite capable for most purposes.

Fatal_Taco

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015
Look at these awesome high performing SoCs....

And there's me, enjoying life with a mere MediaTek MTK6592. Well, at least it serves me well enough :)

I can only dream...

MobileEditor

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014
We're starting to see the SoCs moving on a path a lot like CPUs...the lower-tier ones are getting to be quite capable for most purposes.

True, with the rapid advances in mobile processors, even lower-tier parts offer a lot of compute capability. At this point, it seems software is lagging behind.

One of the ways mobile devices will leverage the additional performance is through neural networks. Qualcomm, for example, will be offering its new Zeroth platform with the Snapdragon 820. This will include behavioral analysis to learn how you use your device, so it can present you with relevant content when you need it. Another feature Qualcomm demoed at SIGGRAPH is an intelligent camera feature that uses neural networks and heterogeneous computing for real-time object detection. This is all done locally on the device without sending any data to the cloud, and it makes searching your photo library easier by automatically labeling photos with the objects it recognizes. Other OEMs such as ZTE are also adding similar features to its devices. In the future, there will really be "smart" phones.

- Matt Humrick, Mobile Editor, Tom's Hardware

MobileEditor

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014
can someone clear this up for me: qualcomm's claiming DSLR quality is misleading because a smarphone will lack the lens department. the ISP can do only so much.

You are correct. The laws of physics prevent smartphone cameras from equaling DSLR performance. Post-processing can improve images to some extent, but ultimately they are limited by the amount of light they can gather.

- Matt Humrick, Mobile Editor, Tom's Hardware

gangrel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2012
Matt, I agree with you in re leveraging in neural nets and the like...but our phones don't have to worry about that. :) I have heard of issues trying to game on a lower-end phone...not my espresso shot. But most definitely, I can see differences browsing between my original Nexus 7 and my Nexus 9, and browsing occasionally is possible. Or in weather apps...AccuWeather has radar maps. They load and play SO much more smoothly on the 9. Weather app is one that would go onto a phone, and the radar map playback is important to me. I'm still hoping to see the next-gen 425 and 618 phones. They may be Q4 2015, but US options especially may be limited until as late as Q2 2016.

Virtual Reality

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
Apart from beautiful graphics and camera result, Snapdragon 820 will be highly recommended for virtual reality apps.
(virtualrealitytimes . com)

Status
Not open for further replies.