Qualcomm StreamBoost Will Control, Optimize Wi-Fi Networks

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

lo @ above comment.. but seriously does anyone see the advertising potential with this move? Good on them!

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
My dad bought a IEEE 802.11n router that didn't support Quality of Service (aka Torrent and Netflix gets the same priority as gaming or VoIP), nor did it have the processing power to properly handle more than one computer without having like 2% packet loss and +500 ms ping.

I can imagine a StreamBoost router that has the same issue. Pathetic processor and lack of essential software features.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]My dad bought a IEEE 802.11n router that didn't support Quality of Service (aka Torrent and Netflix gets the same priority as gaming or VoIP), nor did it have the processing power to properly handle more than one computer without having like 2% packet loss and +500 ms ping.I can imagine a StreamBoost router that has the same issue. Pathetic processor and lack of essential software features.[/citation]You contradict yourself here. StreamBoost is like an advanced, automated (cloud-updated) QoS. So you're comparing a dumb, slow router with no QoS at all to a router with an advanced QoS... and your conclusion is that it will be the same???

Regardless, you get what you pay for applies here. Personally I've got an E2500 right now, and it gets the job done. Performance, reliability, and simultaneous dual-band N. Not as nice as its fancier big brothers, but still not bad at all for ~$80. There's a couple of nice Asus and D-Link routers in the same price range too and the E2700 is on sale on Newegg too. That's about the minimum I'd spend on a router these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.