Question Qualified Vendors List for RAM

rmch

Prominent
Dec 7, 2022
So I want to upgrade the RAM on my older Asus P8Z77-V PRO Motherboard. I have the Asus QVL list, and it documents RAM anywhere from DDR3 2600 OC to DDR3 1800 OC. Then it lists the DDR 1600 and 1333 non OC. I currently have 2x4GB 1600 CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 in dual-channel mode which is on that list. My question is, should I stick to non-OC speeds (1600) if I'm doing a RAM upgrade or is going as high as I can worth fiddling with the timings/voltages and/or is higher DDR even noticeable if the rig is 20% low end gaming and 80% work (VMs, application development, etc). Also does it really matter if it's on the QVL list because lots of this RAM doesn't exist anymore.

kanewolf

Titan
So I want to upgrade the RAM on my older Asus P8Z77-V PRO Motherboard. I have the Asus QVL list, and it documents RAM anywhere from DDR3 2600 OC to DDR3 1800 OC. Then it lists the DDR 1600 and 1333 non OC. I currently have 2x4GB 1600 CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 in dual-channel mode which is on that list. My question is, should I stick to non-OC speeds (1600) if I'm doing a RAM upgrade or is going as high as I can worth fiddling with the timings/voltages and/or is higher DDR even noticeable if the rig is 20% low end gaming and 80% work (VMs, application development, etc). Also does it really matter if it's on the QVL list because lots of this RAM doesn't exist anymore.
The QVL is an insurance policy for the buyer of a motherboard. It says that the motherboard manufacturer has tested specific models of memory and has found no problems with the operation of those models. A motherboard that is 10 years old isn't really QVL target hardware. Memory is limited to what is available at your price. I wouldn't spend much money on a 10 year old motherboard. Save your money to replace it.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
It isn't likely they are still updating that QVL and finding those specific model numbers may be difficult and/or expensive. Being an Intel system on DDR3 you aren't really likely to run into issues so long as you stick to matched sets.
I would look on something like eBay, etc. and try to find used or "refurb" matched sticks for this use case.

rmch

Prominent
Dec 7, 2022
Thanks all, I just ordered 2x8GB 1600MHz Patriot on sale at Amazon with free 1 day delivery. See how that goes. I'll build a new rig down the road.

BTW thanks for the PassMark link. I forgot about that site. I used to be an OC geek back in the day lol.

TRENDING THREADS