Quality Control? Why I Returned My ThinkPad X1 Carbon 3 Times

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

larryb4

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
Why are people so surprised, this is typical of everything that comes out of China. POOR QUALITY CONTROL. They don't give a crap!

Jul 30, 2018
So, admittedly I bought an X1 Carbon 6th gen because of your first article. So far I'm enjoying the keyboard. I have a condition which makes typing difficult at times and the keyboard has a lot of cushion and give and I find myself typing faster but not straining myself. I'm not sure what I should be looking out for, or if I should return it due to Lenovo's business practices. Is there anything specific I should be running to test it to its fullest? I used a 2014 Mac Air before this purchase; I specifically bought it for its keyboard to help ease my pain while typing.

geekinchief

Expert
Ambassador
Sep 10, 2008
@Clincalothc, you should keep your X1 Carbon and enjoy it. I would still get one (may still yet) if I could get one that works as expected. I never said not to buy one; I just want people to be aware of the potential for a sub-optimal experience.

Jul 30, 2018
I swapped the CPU fan on my last two Thinkpads, each time improving the sound profile considerably.

I went part hunting on Aliexpress with direct delivery from China. That way I knew what I was getting.

It's a jungle out there...

Jul 30, 2018
@GEEKINCHIEF thank you for your reply, I appreciate it. I'm sorry you've had such bad luck. I wonder if its the build that's the issue? I'm still learning my way around the hardware world. I did the pretty basic setup; I just upgraded the memory and went with the i7 processor.

_undy_

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
I am SO disappointed... I was planning to buy a X1 Carbon in few months but honestly I don't think that I will have the heart to do that, considering also that my present Dell is still working quite well after all. Really, really disappointing.

Aug 1, 2018
I am curious now which to get. I have an x1 carbon coming with the 2k non hdr and silver/let but am concerned about the screen brightness and color accuracy. I wonder if anyone knows if the x1 yoga g3 with hdr and in black would be the more reliable option? I was hoping the screen would be 300nit+ as I do IT and am often in bright offices and can even find myself in my car providing support.

Aug 2, 2018
Uh this has no video card! What professional are you talking about? This is can handle no serious program. How many did Apple pay for a good review?

LOL! I don't think the younger generations understand what you even mean by that. I remember when they first hit the US market priced at $3,990 USD in 1986 or at least in my part of the US. People snapped them up because at the time, the typical comparable small new car like the Chevrolet Chevette, Toyota Tercel, or Honda Civic cost more than twice that new. Several people had them in my high school at the time as their first car.

However, the "deal of a lifetime" as one local sales weasel once said on a TV ad in my town, it didn't take long before people realized it was crap - the classic case of you get what you pay for. In only a matter of months they started literally falling apart, rusting out, breaking down, or some combo of the three.

One poor young woman was driving a Yugo and was blown off the tall Mackinac Bridge in Michigan from high winds sending her to her death crashing into the lake below:

https://www.tctimes.com/news/remember-the-woman-in-the-yugo/article_5496a820-4159-11e7-b3ad-8391deb9664f.html

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
The real solution is accountability. You should devise some tests comparing the keyboard quality (there's gotta be methodologies for this out there; check out /r/mechanicalkeyboards for ideas).

If Lenovo doesn't care about you, WE do. Let's make an impact and end this shoddy business practice. This is a classic bait-and-switch: that's what a lottery is, no matter how many times you play it.

I'll share your article everywhere. Let's put some hard numbers behind this and Lenovo will have no choice but to listen. Check out these comments; everyone here supports you and you're already changing purchasing decisions for the better.

Every sane company wants to improve. Lenovo will appreciate you in the long-term.

Aug 1, 2018
I did receive one with the hdr screen and the right side of the screen when closed was a gap vs the left like the pictures in this article. The keyboard was ok. I returned it.

Sep 6, 2018
Thanks. I will forever stay away from Lenovo. They seem to be cost cutting at customer expense which is usual for China made products as a whole!!!

Ranstedt

Reputable
May 16, 2014
As if buying my first laptop wasn't difficult enough. Geez.

After buying 8 desktops in my life I finally want to buy a laptop. So I've spent more time researching than I probably should've. I decide I really want to try a Lenovo, especially a Thinkpad due to the great keyboards. I've used laptops in the past and never really enjoyed typing on them.

Now reading about these issues, I don't know what to do. Even though I'd prefer a 17" laptop, I've been considering the X1 Carbon. And I keep looking into other Lenovo laptops. I hope I haven't wasted my time.

Jan 14, 2019
Screen alignment is slightly off on my Carbon X1 6th gen. The black outline on the top of my laptop screen is fractionally larger on the left than the right. Another quality control issue and the lid isn't flush. Paid a lot of money for this and chose this laptop based on all the reviews. Hopefully, they will resolve this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.