News Qubit Teleportation Paves the Way for Galaxy-Spanning Communications

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NinoPino

Prominent
May 26, 2022
You're contradicting yourself in your comment. Read what you yourself posted regarding quantum teleportation. I'll post the relevant bit:

"Quantum teleportation is a technique for transferring quantum information from a sender at one location to a receiver some distance away."

Hence, information can be transferred using quantum teleportation. Which is exactly what the article is about. No retraction needed.

No contradiction, please read some lines below :
"...but classical information needs to be sent from sender to receiver to complete the teleportation. Because classical information needs to be sent, teleportation can not occur faster than the speed of light."

May 26, 2022
It's "a bit" impossible for you to say whether or not I took the time to research the article. Is that a scientific assumption?

I think the entire intro makes it clear that there's a sci-fi spin to the article. Even so, I'm leaving two articles here that showcase the possibility of transmitting information through teleportation without a classical connection between nodes:

https://phys.org/news/2015-03-quantum-scheme-states-transmitting-physical.html

This is one of the most complex subjects there is, with one of the fastest scientific development ratios of today. I'm not claiming to be an expert, and I'm open to be proven wrong with sources that demonstrably prove this to be impossible. But since the scientific community itself presents a superposition (it both is and isn't possible, depending on the papers you read), I stand by my reporting.

Yes, it's a complex subject that IMO was given a comically SCI-FI flavor in the article using a scientific paper as a pop-sci prop.

The first is a discredited marketing paper that can be debunked in 10 seconds.
Disclaimer: This blog post was written when Quantum Xchange was focused on building and selling the first quantum network in the U.S.
We have since pivoted our business and product offering.

The second paper (if you actually read the paper ) still requires some ancillary system to travel (at c sending radio waves all the way/interferometers) between A and B, or for A and B to send one ancillary system each to a halfway location. You cannot use entanglement to communicate faster than light or at any speed. The "Intergalactic internet" statement is pure bunk as the scientific facts in the article are obvious to a beginner in QM and has no experimental data for long distance communications because it can't work without a ancillary classical system.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10701-021-00412-5
How Quantum is Quantum Counterfactual Communication?

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...nt-for-ftl-data-transfer.1003817/post-6502710
What would it take (even theoretically) to use quantum entanglement for FTL data transfer?
Theoretically it’s impossible. If you mean “hypothetically”, it is possible, you just need the hypothesis that the theory of quantum mechanics is wrong in some way; and for fiction the details of the hypothesis aren’t as important as advancing the plot.

Note that any form of FTL data transfer leads to all the problems plot opportunities of FTL travel: reverse causality, time travel paradoxes, tachyonic anti-telephones (Google for that), and the like. FTL data transfer won’t let you go back in time to kill your parents before you’re born, but it will let you hire a hitman who will create that messy paradox for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: NinoPino

edzieba

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2016
This is one of the most complex subjects there is, with one of the fastest scientific development ratios of today. I'm not claiming to be an expert, and I'm open to be proven wrong with sources that demonstrably prove this to be impossible. But since the scientific community itself presents a superposition (it both is and isn't possible, depending on the papers you read), I stand by my reporting.
The article makes claims that are flat-out false, due to confusing quantum information with classical information (a basic mistake). e.g.
"This development, in turn, could enable a veritable quantum internet, where information only needs to be updated in a single physical location - such as a specific ship manufacturer's headquarters - with instantaneous propagation across the network of entangled qubits. "
Is not possible under any current quantum theory (and certainly not under any that have stood up to experimental testing). No bits propagate across an entangled set, only quantum state. But as you cannot influence the quantum state without breaking the entanglement (which happens before, and thus precludes, any state propagation) you cannot 'update' a Q-bit and have others reflect its state. Entanglement does not work that way.

The ever-useful Atomic Rockets has a section on why QM does not enable FTL communication, with a worked example from classical through to quantum behaviour to demonstrate why. Go read it there. This has been known since the mid 60s, but the same mistake gets made over and over again.

TRENDING THREADS