[SOLVED] Query by temperature of i7-10700k

Oct 27, 2021
Is it normal for an i7-10700k to hit 93º / 94º peaks in cinebench?

I use it with a Cooler Master MasterAir MA610P in a Themaltake H200 cabinet (3 front coolers and one rear).

With office tasks, the cpu works between 35º and 40º.

Thanks.

Solution
Would you advise me to change for a liquid cooling system?
No.
It presents it's own set of pros and cons, but it too, can be defeated by poor airflow.
The top of the H200 is really the only viable location for one.
There's the argument of top intake or top exhaust. Most are going to tell you to set it as exhaust.
Top intake works in very specific scenarios, which the gpu plays a big part of.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Depending on various factors, yes, that Cinebench result actually can be 'normal'.
Is it ideal? No.

With the way the H200 is designed, I have to wonder if those three front fans are doing anything.
Can you take just the front panel off and check again?

Oct 27, 2021
Depending on various factors, yes, that Cinebench result actually can be 'normal'.
Is it ideal? No.

With the way the H200 is designed, I have to wonder if those three front fans are doing anything.
Can you take just the front panel off and check again?

Thanks for your answer. I tried again by removing the front panel of the H200 and the maximum temperatures are now between 85º and 86º

Oct 27, 2021
The truth is that I just bought all this hardware (motherboard processor, RAM, cooler, ssds, cabinet etc.) to build a new pc. Everything is new...

I don't see many options other than to make holes in the panel hahaha

What do you advise me?

Oct 27, 2021
Are you regularly pushing the cpu like Cinebench is?
It's not really an issue unless the cpu is sustaining those kinds of temperatures.

No, I only used cinebench to test this new montage.

The equipment is mostly used for image editing (photoshop), office tasks and some (little) video editing with Davinci Resolve.

Likewise, these temperatures worried me a bit, because with my previous PC (i7-7700) it did not go above 80ºC with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Would you advise me to change for a liquid cooling system?
No.
It presents it's own set of pros and cons, but it too, can be defeated by poor airflow.
The top of the H200 is really the only viable location for one.
There's the argument of top intake or top exhaust. Most are going to tell you to set it as exhaust.
Top intake works in very specific scenarios, which the gpu plays a big part of.

Solution
Oct 27, 2021
Thank you for all the guidance you have provided me.

I have 3 options:

1. Modify the front panel of the H200 so that more air enters.
  2. Change cabinet.
  3. Change to a liquid refrigerator and place it on top.

Option 1 (although it is the cheapest) is not possible at the moment since the cabinet is under warranty.

I have options 2 and 3 ...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I understand wanting to respect the warranty, so 1 is out.

With 2, if you get something more airflow friendly, there shouldn't be any concerns about cooling with later system hardware updates.
With 3... ok, chassis airflow isn't the greatest, but what's the gpu?

Oct 27, 2021
Well, the 10700K adds more cores, pushes higher frequencies, and the power it can use is also up - you can put a leash on that last one in bios though.

@Phaaze88, I don't have much experience with undervolt or overclocking issues.

Could you tell me what parameters I should touch in the bios to "tame" the temperatures of the i7-10700K a bit?

My motherboard is a Gigabyte Z490 UD.

Thank you very much in advance!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Could you tell me what parameters I should touch in the bios to "tame" the temperatures of the i7-10700K a bit?
You have several options.
-AVX offset. Auto is usually 0. AVX demands more power and heat when it kicks in. Experiment between -1 to -3. As you go towards -3, the power use should go down, but so does performance*.[AVX is faster than the normal SSE Instructions at the same frequency.]
-Cpu Vcore. You can use either Manual/Offset/Adaptive Mode, just don't leave it on Auto. Manual and Offset are easier to use. Ex: Offset Mode, and enter an offset of -0.050v. You may be able to go further than that, like -0.100v.
-Load Line Calibration. Can vary between mobo makers by a lot. [Link to how LLC works] For most users, the low to medium LLC settings are as far as they need to go. The high to extreme settings crank needlessly higher voltage through and increase thermals further.
-Multi Core Enhancement/Enhanced Turbo. Some boards have it on by default. It's an E-Z overclock, but uses too much voltage. Leave it off... or don't, if you believe you can tame the Vcore.
-C-states. Leave them on.
-Intel Speed Shift/Speed Step. Leave Shift on, turn Step off.
Excluding the last 2, try not to change too many of the others at once. For now, see what tuning the Vcore does for you.

Oct 27, 2021
Thank you very much for your answer!

Just yesterday I tried disabling Enhanced Multi-Core Performance and it didn't make any changes ... the temperatures under stress were the same.

I am going to try the other options that you indicate to me.

The bios on my board has a "Voltage Optimization" option that is set to "auto" and that has the option to define between various voltages. Will this option be the equivalent of Vcore?

The link of the manual is this

Thank you very much for your help!!

Oct 27, 2021
I have this in my bios:

Vcore Voltage Mode:
Vcore-Voltage-Mode.jpg

CPU Vcore:
CPU-Vcore.jpg

Dynamic Vcore:
Dynamic-Vcore-(DVID).jpg

Thank you in advance.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Oh geez, Gigabyte... Override and Fixed are the same thing - at least on Asus boards...

The Cpu Vcore should change based on what the Vcore Voltage Mode is. Does it?
If it doesn't, it's going to be easier to experiment with Fixed Mode. The way Gigabyte is doing things here is different from what I'm used to on an Asus board.