Question Query ref HDD and PSU positioning inside case

bazz5313

Honorable
Oct 27, 2018
Hi,
My custom built PC has just arrived. Midi Tower (Kolink Stronghold case). On checking inside the case, I have noted the HDD is at the bottom of the case, towards the front, but at an angle of approx 10/15% sloping up towards the front of the case. The bottom of the case, including PSU, and HDD, is covered in some sort of casing all the way along the bottom, flush with the bottom of the motherboard covering the base from front to rear of the case. There is a gap at the front end of the casing where the HDD can be seen at the 10/15% angle.

I think it is at this angle due to the fact if it was horizontal the end of the HDD would probably be touching the front of the case, so I assume they have done it that way to prevent any vibration on the HDD from the front fans located just above? Is it OK for the HDD to be in this position? It is fitted tight and secure from what I can see so wontmove.

Furthermore I have a Corsair CX650W ATX PSU - (at least I assume it is, lol as that too is covered by the "casing/cover"). Is it ok for the PSU to be covered like that, I wasnt sure how much heat it would generate, although as per standard PSU,s it has built in fan.

Just thought I would query this - as I have never had a PC with this casing covering PSU and HDD angle etc. and I was also concerned over temperature within this casing. (at least it looks nice and tidy with no PSU wires n cables everywhere !

Edit : Just googled the case again, and have found other pictures of it with the cover, and what is apparently called a "shroud". It appears this is the way to do it nowadays (last pc was bought a while ago!). Only concern I have now is the odd angle on the HDD.

Many thanks

Last edited:

bazz5313

Honorable
Oct 27, 2018
Thanks for the reply. I contacted the company, sent them some pics - they thought perhaps it was dislodged in transit, but gave me permisson to take off the case sides and have a look. As it happens there were 3 bays/slots that the HDD could go onto.

I checked the middle bay which the HDD was fitted to, and it appears to have been designed on purpose to be at an angle, as the back plate where the HDD is screwed on to was sticking out and angled, whereas the other 2 bays top and bottom, were flat. (There was no damage to the middle backplate, and the metal is too strong to have been bent, hence it appears that is standard design!). I ended up taking it off the middle backplate and attached it to the top one, although my fat fingers, small screws, and not much room due to PSU and cables didnt make it easy !

I am sending a photo to the company just so they are aware.

bazz5313

Honorable
Oct 27, 2018
Further query I have just realised. I have googled my case KOLINK STRONGHOLD, and images show all 3 bays have flat backs. Not sure why mine is different. The HDD was only secured by 2 screws on one side, on the backplate. I have never fitted or messed with an HDD before, and only now on looking elsewhere I wonder if there should be runners/rails included for the other side of the HDD so that it can be slid in and then secured. I had to hold the HDD with one hand, and try to put the screws in with the other. There are grooves/slots on the case so I assume my HDD should be supported on the other side too? Are these rails standard fit, if so I will purchase some - or if not can someone advise me which rails to get for the KOLINK STRONGHOLD MIDI TOWER?

Thanks.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS