Quesiton regarding Hyper Evo 212.

MrFrenglish

Prominent
Mar 21, 2017
Hi

I am currently trying to review my old build that I made a couple of months ago (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fgB8Fd) to potentially buy the thing now, lol.

Anyway, I want an AMD Ryzen 7 cpu instead of an i7 8700k, because I am not only a gamer, but a streamer also. Point is,the AMD ryzen 7 is an AM4 socket and I don't know if the Master Cooler Hyper Evo 212 is compatible with AM4 nowadays and I can't find an answer for 2018.

Does anyone know if it is compatible out of the box now? And if not, do you have any other recommendations instead of a Hyper Evo 212.

Thanks!

* I do not need a water cooler, I do not plan on OCing.

Solution

if you have the money why not get the best parts you can???
the 8700k is going to be the best option

however, if budget is an issue a ryzen 1600 would be the highest you can go with that mobo
the ryzen cpu cooler is better than a hyper 212

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

a cheap 350 mobo is not going to handle a 1800x you were in for a throttling fest

go 8700k with a z370 mobo

ryzen 1800x is only good at this price range if you are doing rendering or virtualization, and you need at least a decent 370 based mobo for it

overpriced and silly to use for streaming

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

~$20 difference more than made up by the fact that you dont need 3200+ ram with it

you cannot get away with a cheap B350 mobo, so a good X370 mobo is about the same as a z370 one

Since you need a ok cooler for the 8700k the price is close though, and that beign the case the inferior gaming performance of the ryzen for your purposes does not make sense

MrFrenglish

Prominent
Mar 21, 2017
Oh okay.

But I'm really not looking for the best of the best tbh. I mainly want to be able to stream at 1080p with no hiccups. I do not plan on OCing and doing 4k ever. It's the reason why I thought 8 cores is better than 6, thus choosing Ryzen 1800x over the i7 8700k. And also why I picked the GTX 1070 over 1080.

Anyway, this also means I should change the RAM if I change to the i7 8700k and a z370 mobo. I'll have to do some more research.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
An R7 1700 is more than enough to stream with, and fine on any decent B350. The included Wraith cooler is better than the hyper212, so solving that issue too. Of course it doesn't see a 6% performance increase with OC, with 3200 ram it's closer to a 20% possible increase.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

if you have the money why not get the best parts you can???
the 8700k is going to be the best option

however, if budget is an issue a ryzen 1600 would be the highest you can go with that mobo
the ryzen cpu cooler is better than a hyper 212

Solution