Question question about 4080 and compatibility

darkspirit

Honorable
Aug 3, 2017
Hi so im currently rocking a 2070 super and was thinking of upgrading to a 4080 now in november with its release and i had a couple of questions

The first one is about the price, Is there any way to confirm what the price will be in a specific country? i live in sweden and it mentions 16600 sek (around 1475 usd) and i was wondering if there is a way to ask nvidia or confirm the number in any way?

my second question is about compatibility, Im currently using a Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING II ATX AM4 Motherboard and i was wondering if it would be capable of handling a 4080?

my third question is about a cpu pairing with the 4080, i currently have a ryzen 7 3700 and is thinking about upgrading it to a 📷 AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor, would it be able to handle a 4080 to a decent degree? i generally want to be able to run games at 1440p 120+ fps

The first one is about the price, Is there any way to confirm what the price will be in a specific country? i live in sweden and it mentions 16600 sek (around 1475 usd) and i was wondering if there is a way to ask nvidia or confirm the number in any way?
It is what it is.
my second question is about compatibility, Im currently using a Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING II ATX AM4 Motherboard and i was wondering if it would be capable of handling a 4080?
Totally fine. Power supply should be your main focus.
my third question is about a cpu pairing with the 4080, i currently have a ryzen 7 3700 and is thinking about upgrading it to a 📷 AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor, would it be able to handle a 4080 to a decent degree? i generally want to be able to run games at 1440p 120+ fps
If all you want is 1440p 120FPS, probably wait for a 4070 (or AMD equivalent) honestly.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
1. No. You won't know the price for certain until you know the price. Apart from any release price, there's also which 4080, they'll vary in price. Then add shipping, import/export duties and taxes, middle man markups, end seller markups etc.

2. Yes. If you upgrade the bios to the latest, it should have full pcie4.0 compatibility, otherwise you'll be stuck with pcie3.0, not that big a loss, if any, but still viable and compatible.

3. Cpu = fps. Gpu = eye candy. With a 4080 you'll max out detail levels in most instances at 1440p and 4k, but doing so will drop fps if you only use the preset levels. There's both cpu and gpu settings in the presets. Max fps = low, max graphics = ultra. Find the cpu settings, put those to low, make graphics high or ultra.

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
3. Cpu = fps. Gpu = eye candy. With a 4080 you'll max out detail levels in most instances at 1440p and 4k, but doing so will drop fps if you only use the preset levels. There's both cpu and gpu settings in the presets. Max fps = low, max graphics = ultra. Find the cpu settings, put those to low, make graphics high or ultra.

This isn't always true, it varies from application to application. Some applications, or games, rely on the gpu more than the cpu and vice versa. In theory, you are generally correct though.