Question about 64bit & 32 bit for Laptop

killian byrne

Honorable
May 12, 2013
Hey guys,
I have an old laptop running 64bit windows Vista with 4gb Ram with amd turion X2 cpu (not exactly sure but its definitely a Turion). apologies, i don't have the laptop with me at the moment.

I was wondering if i changed it to 32bit would it be less taxing on the cpu in terms of processes & heat? There is a lot of heat coming from the fans (which i presume is coming off the cpu not too sure). I understand its old but was wondering anything software wise i could do?

It has 4gb of RAM, so if i changed it, it wouldn't effect it that much. Also if i were to change it to 32bit would i be better off getting 32 bit win 7 or vista?

Thanks.

mibix19

Distinguished
Hi. It will not make a difference if you change to 32 bit. The heat and noise is age related to your laptop. You could try getting a can of compressed air, removing the bottom of you laptop and blowing away all the dust. Apart from that there is not a lot that you could do to improve the situation. Just run it until it dies. Back up all your files soon.

V1ctor89

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
My advice is to leave it as it is. Changing it to 32 bit would make the 4gb useless, because 32bit uses max 3,25gb of ram. The 64 bit OS is actually better because it uses all the power of the CPU. If it's generating so much heat, consider taking it apart and clean carefully the heatsink and the fan and change the thermal paste.