[SOLVED] Question about a POTENTIALLY zapped GPU ?

Beave89

Reputable
Jul 11, 2019
I was transferring my system from the Silverstone RL08 to the Fractal Define 7, and I was working on carpet. I also didn't use the extra standoff that was included with Define 7 for micro-atx motherboards. I believe both these factors contributed to the fact that once I was finished and pressed that power button, lights came on initially, then went out. I don't believe the cpu fan (Noctua Nh-l9i) even came on. I tested the PSU later using the "paper clip test" and its fan spun up, so I think the PSU wasn't the culprit (its also a corsair ax 860, so, high quality).

Anywho, I got new parts, EXCEPT for a new card, because I can't afford it right now. Its a Sapphire Pulse RX 5600 XT. I'd like to have some advice on whether or not this card could potentially blow up my new motherboard (along with loads of other new parts).

Anywho, my question is: if working on carpet/not using that extra standoff/touching the graphics card on carpet/having my graphics card plugged into the motherboard that I short circuited (right?) ...would it be safe to use my card with the new motherboard I bought? Gpu prices are ridiculous right now. But the last thing iwanna do

Solution
I don't think the "working on carpet" is usually that big of a deal (although it's possible that it could damage things but doesn't usually happen in my world)

As far as the standoff....I'd have to know which standoff.

Some standoffs carry current and some don't.

As far as the GPU....I wouldn't think the GPU would have taken a hit from working on carpet or due to a missing MB standoff.
I don't think the "working on carpet" is usually that big of a deal (although it's possible that it could damage things but doesn't usually happen in my world)

As far as the GPU....I wouldn't think the GPU would have taken a hit from working on carpet or due to a missing MB standoff.

Solution

Beave89

Reputable
Jul 11, 2019

Ok, thank you for the swift reply and info, Jay. I'm not using the Fractal for this build, but I may in the future. There's 3 'M' standoff locations, but from what I can tell (just gave it a look-see with my dead m-atx MB), at least from the m-atx MB I have on hand, its the lowest-right position. I can confirm I coulda(shoulda?)installed the extra standoff there.
What do you think about the rest of the components I had connected to the previous board? That motherboard is dead, do you think it could have taken the cpu, ram and m.2 drive with it, or damaged them? Curious to know if I can use those, safely.