[SOLVED] Question about boot drives

Nov 21, 2020
So right now I'm booting off a 240gb SATA SSD with a read speed of about 500mb/s, I got it a few years back and now I recently purchased a 1TB 970 Samsung 970 EVO, which reads about 7 times faster.
I got the new SSD mostly for games, but my question is, would booting be even faster on it and does having games on the drive you boot off increase performance somehow?

Solution
So right now I'm booting off a 240gb SATA SSD with a read speed of about 500mb/s, I got it a few years back and now I recently purchased a 1TB 970 Samsung 970 EVO, which reads about 7 times faster.
I got the new SSD mostly for games, but my question is, would booting be even faster on it and does having games on the drive you boot off increase performance somehow?
Your boot time will be a couple of seconds faster, maybe.

That magical "7 times faster" is only under certain conditions. Transferring large sequential data between two similar drives.
Also, there are a LOT of things going on when the system boots up. The raw drive speed is only a small aspect of that.

Once we go beyond spinning drives into solid state, there is not...

USAFRet

Titan
Your boot time will be a couple of seconds faster, maybe.

That magical "7 times faster" is only under certain conditions. Transferring large sequential data between two similar drives.
Also, there are a LOT of things going on when the system boots up. The raw drive speed is only a small aspect of that.

Once we go beyond spinning drives into solid state, there is not whole lot of difference.

Solution