Question question about compatibility

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
hello, I am in the works of building a new PC and have a question regarding RAM and the Ryzen CPU. I plan on buying the ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING AM4 mother board and AMD RYZEN 5 2600X I know Ryzen likes fast RAM so I was looking at CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz but I see there is that as well as one labeled AMD Ryzen Model , I've tried to do research and cant really come up with an answer to as if that AMD Ryzen one is the one I do need, I did read somewhere that newer 3rd Gen Ryzen chips sometimes have issues with some RAM .. is this what that RAM is for? I only ask mainly because the Ryzen model is only available in Black, I am building my build Red and Black and the first choice does come in both colors.. if anyone knows for sure what the major differences are between the two RAM. or if I do require the Ryzen kind .. please comment.

brokeBuilder2019

Prominent
Sep 14, 2019
I plan on buying the ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING AM4 mother board and AMD RYZEN 5 2600X ... I did read somewhere that newer 3rd Gen Ryzen chips sometimes have issues with some RAM

Hi, the 2600x CPU is a 2nd Gen CPU, not 3rd gen.

Was this a typo, and are you actually going to buy a 3600x cpu ? 3rd gen ?

Also, for your B450 mobo, and assuming you meant you're buying a 3600x cpu, you will need a BIOS update. Read this: https://www.wepc.com/tips/bios-update-for-new-ryzen-3000-chips-x470-b450/

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
yes I was waiting for someone to say that .. .lol I realize the 2600x is 2nd Gen.. I ment to say that ive read that 3rd Gen like 3600 have issues with some RAM so could that be why this RAM is specific to Ryzen lol I realized when I re-read it that someone was gonna comment about the 3rd Gen comment I made hehe

brokeBuilder2019

Prominent
Sep 14, 2019
maybe ill write corsair and see if they have any insight, one would hope as it is their product

Hmm ... you could do that, but I'm not sure if they would be the best people to ask. Maybe the motherboard manufacturer ? I mean ... when I pick RAM modules, I check the motherboard's QVL.

Now, the real question to me (and I don't know the answer either) is - if it's on the QVL of an AMD motherboard that supports Ryzen processors, does that imply that the RAM is indeed compatible with Ryzen ? If mobo X supports CPU Y, and X's QVL contains memory Z, then Z is compatible with Y ?

So, if the above ^ is true, all you need to do is check the QVL for your motherboard and find RAM that is on that list.

(My hunch would be no, because the older AM4 socket motherboards are compatible for years to come, meaning that at the time of their release, they weren't tested with the newer Ryzen processors ... they simply can't guarantee that all future AM4 processors will also work with our QVL listed RAM)

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, because I may run into this issue myself a few months from now :)

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
well I have looked at the manufactures RAM compatibility for the board and couldn't find the Corsair Vengeance anywhere with that particular modal number for either the Ryzen model or the non Ryzen specific ones. best I could learn is that some 3rd gen Ryzen dont play well with a certain ram bios of chip , (I get a tad lost with that.. but something to do with a Samsung chip that Ryzen likes most).. or something like that.. anyway .. that's what I wonder about, if the Ryzen specific stuff might just be for say 3rd Gen chips if you wished to make 100% sure it would work … but I am not sure. Ive wrote Corsair maybe they can explain it better as the motherboard specs simply states it supports the chips and up to I think 3466Mhz Ram etc.. but nothing stating must be "Ryzen specific style" I mean I dont mind using the Ryzen stuff if that's whats needed, I ws just hoping someone on here may have that particular CPU on a board similar (or same) with RAM that could say YES or no if its needed. its strictly a color reason I was wishing to use the RAM anyway . as my build will be red and black I could get the non Ryzen in both colors

brokeBuilder2019

Prominent
Sep 14, 2019
well I have looked at the manufactures RAM compatibility for the board and couldn't find the Corsair Vengeance anywhere with that particular modal number for either the Ryzen model or the non Ryzen specific ones. best I could learn is that some 3rd gen Ryzen dont play well with a certain ram bios of chip , (I get a tad lost with that.. but something to do with a Samsung chip that Ryzen likes most).. or something like that.. anyway .. that's what I wonder about, if the Ryzen specific stuff might just be for say 3rd Gen chips if you wished to make 100% sure it would work … but I am not sure. Ive wrote Corsair maybe they can explain it better as the motherboard specs simply states it supports the chips and up to I think 3466Mhz Ram etc.. but nothing stating must be "Ryzen specific style" I mean I dont mind using the Ryzen stuff if that's whats needed, I ws just hoping someone on here may have that particular CPU on a board similar (or same) with RAM that could say YES or no if its needed. its strictly a color reason I was wishing to use the RAM anyway . as my build will be red and black I could get the non Ryzen in both colors

Right. I really should let someone with better info or knowledge help you :)