Question about Corsair TXM 550 gold

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Hey Guys,

I originally thought 550 is the max output and not powerful enough to support a I7-7700k and 1080ti build. He claimed 640W is the actual max output of TX550M and will be enough. I couldn't find enough info online to justify, can someone enlighten me? Like the number on the PSU is not really max, how should we determine? Thanks :)

Solution
Everyone has a different load limit. I think I picked my 80% figure from HardOCP's "torture test". They load the PSU up to 75 or 80% of output and hold it there for 8hrs. I've seen on the forum many people pick 50% because there is where max load efficiency. The difference between 50% and 75% is usually around 1 or 1.5% lower. I'm willing to give up greater max efficiency for a lower priced unit and great idle efficiency.

If your eyes glossed over, let me use the previous ~400W load as an example. 400W is 73% of a 550W unit, so I'm fine with running a 400W system on a 550W PSU. If you want to only load a PSU to 50% of it's output, you'll need an 800W unit to power that system. Not a lot of those, you'll probably pick from a...

Not sure of that thread. :??:

All I know is I tend to like some overhead so the PSU tend to run cooler. :)

Some others seem to believe they can run the PSU's MAXXED out all the time or over rated wattage.

Very bad idea to say the least.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

So Seasonic puts their warranty at 12 years. They test and design their PSUs to run at max output 8+hours a day for that entire warranty time period. There was a whole article I read on it, that I wish I could find right now.

Now thats not to say that the Corsair will standup exactly the same (but it is a good PSU) , but the idea of running a high end PSU close to its rated output will somehow make it fail sooner isn't likely, nor is it a very bad idea when you are talking about higher end PSUs.

On top of that I don't see that combo drawing over 500w most of the time. I'd run a 550 all day long on it with no worries. And the point of Mousemonkey saying it can handle close to 100w more, is in a spike situation, which happens but isn't sustained.

I wouldn't do it in a system, run at max all the time, could add to the heat issues.

Yeah Seasonic does torture test like that and that is good that they actually do that. Goes to prove the reliability is there to Seasonic in general for warranty and quality of the builds.

As I said for Seasonic's benefit as in FOR THEM as in the COMPANY.

There is a difference in TESTING and real world use however.

I have had to explain this over and over for decades since I do a lot of testing myself in another field. Things like this are not ment to be taken literally or repeated outside the testing environment.

That's why normally it's a bad idea to actually let the public know how testing is done as some will take it literally.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
But its not gong to run max all the time. Have you ever monitored power useage while gaming? The CPU and GPU don't just spin up and sit there at 600watts, it ebbs and flows depending what the game is doing. On my system when I am playing ME:Andromeda for example the system fluctuates between 400 and 600w depending whats going on.

If your system is set up with the PSU fan pointing downward it has no affect on system heat, it draws in and exhausts its own air. Running my psus near the limit I do not ever notice them hot to the touch like a GPU may get. They have no affect on system heat at all.

Yes there is a difference between testing and the real world. That test is WAY more rigorous than someone gaming would ever put that PSU through, hence the 12 year warranty. The truth is gaming at or near the limit (by limit I mean the number its rated at, not the theoretical OCP limit) of a high end PSU is barely doing much in the way of wear or damage, the only thing you lose is efficiency depending how close to the limit you are.

Yeah, gaming in general doesn't stress the machine as much as TESTING, not even close normally.

Yes for people with bottom mounted PSU's it won't make a large difference, even less with those case with partitions.

But not everyone has those cases, there are still a lot of top mounted units around.

And not everyone is running high quality units either or high end cases as we see here everyday.

So I normally stay on the side of caution when recommending.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

I stay on the side of the specific unit I recommend. If I'm talking a Seasonic, or a Corsair RMx or an EVGA G2 (jury is still out on the G3's) then near the limit sure. If I'm talking a lower end unit, cushion is your friend. My point is there is no rule of thumb (also why the PSU tier list sucks IMO) and hence recommendations need to be made based on the situation. Here we can easily ask (or already know) what case we are dealing with, budget, etc.

I recommend Seasonic most of the time also or higher end units from others.

As least I know they are going to get a good unit that way. :)

Let me recap what happened. One guys asked if his txm550 currently in use can stand upgrade to 1080 to with his 7700k. I used recommended 600 as guideline and suggest 650 will do, but 750 is on sale and only serveral bucks more expensive, I recommended a 750 one. Then this mountain guy popped out, claim txm550 can output 640, so I don't know what I am talking about and I am trying to sell a poor guy and expensive PSU. I think maybe I am too poorly-educated and I googled online, didn't see that kind of info. Therefore, I am asking in a separate thread. I didn't do any name calling, just for real discussion. Then another guy, attacked me for spreading misinfo, saying even the PSU does not have enough power, no components will get impacted as I am worried about. Then news flash, my friend upgraded to a new gpu with his old CX and someone like you two claimed it was fine and it was fine for 1 week until the PSU blew up on him. Don't tell me nothing is going to happen to the units. Are you guys willing to cover that op if anything happens? My suggestion is better safe than sorry and if I am worried too much, you can say so and I am being paranoid. However, follow me here and conduct personal attack just shows who you guys really are.

Didn't see that thread. LOL

Jonny Guru does run the PSU's over rated power in TESTING to see if they would blow, but that's in TESTING.

Normally it's best to stay within the rated power with some added head room, anyone that tells people different is giving bad info for sure. I don't play with other people's money personally.

Some like more headroom than others, I normally like a little more so I don't cut things too close when recommending.

TX550M will work with a GTX 1080Ti and i7 7700K, BUT.... I wouldn't do it or recommend it so I would recommend a 650W.

Now with a GTX 1080 and I7 7700K a 550W would be fine. (For my system I would use a 650W and do)

The way I look at things is this:

Would I do it if it was MY MONEY and MY SYSTEM?

If not then I don't recommend it to others, that's just the way I work. ;)

Some like to experiment with other people's money and machines and that's not a good thing IMO.

Personal attacks and insults will not be tolerated, continuing down that path will result in sanctions.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

You were not attacked you were told that your information is wrong. You were not followed, we are Moderators we are on this board all the time and we see a good portion of the threads, so its pretty easy for us to pop up multiple times in similar threads about similar things.

I have no doubt your friends CX popped, its not a good PSU. Only recently the new CXM units are what I would call good, but that is a PSU I would make sure a system is well within the below 550w range. However a high end PSU which is what we were discussing in the other thread is one that you have some wiggle room with, and can absorb spikes over the top of its rated wattage with no ill effects.

You and jankerson are highly overestimating the power requirements of a 1080ti and a 7700k. It simply does not need anywhere near a 650w unit, the only reason you would need it is if it was heavily overclocked, and included a custom loop so the excess power could run the pumps etc.

Secondly you were telling someone that if they went with a PSU that was not rated high enough the fact it was underpowered could damage a system. In the case of a good quality PSU it will not do any damage at all, it just won't work and will crash. In the case of a low quality PSU that doesn't have the same protections or they are poorly designed that, could absolutely cause damage. But its an important distinction. And its important to give people the full story before trying to provide what turns out to be an incorrect rule of thumb.

Nobody is saying to underpower the system, we are saying your power estimates are excessive, and your story about what could happen, when we are talking good quality PSUs is incorrect.

Again you're not being attacked you are being corrected. You said yourself this is other peoples money we deal with here. Providing the CORRECT info is most important, and had you said you weren't sure instead of being insistent upon it you wouldn't have been corrected so strongly. There is no shame in not knowing everything. We all don't know it all.

But finally, if you complain about being personally attacked (you weren't) and then come in here and attack people ("mountain man") you will find yourself taking a break.

I didn't overestimate anything.

A GTX 1080TI can pull over 300W by itself easily depending on model and OC.

My FTW2 GTX 1080 can pull 240W.

All I was saying is I wouldn't recommend a 550W PSU for a GTX 1080Ti and i7 7700K because I don't think there is enough headroom.

So I would recommend a 650W.

I always think worse case and or max power system power draw.

Would rather do that then to under recommend.

I'm curious as to how you are measuring that because using a meter plugged into the wall socket my dual 970's, 2600K rig and three monitors use less than 250w.

Went with THG measurement.

They measured the power draw of the card only in max stress testing.

It was 238W.... Just the card.

EVGA says 212W out of the box stock for the FTW2 GTX 1080.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

And you are entitled to your opinion but note the testing here:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11180/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-review/16

Which is using a CPU that has a significantly higher tdp than a 7700k. The highest power consumption for the whole system is 403 watts.

Now lets take the Lightning Z

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-lightning-z-review,8.html

Calulated power consumption is 339w, however the FX power calc has it at 279w. 60w difference.

So now you're at, lets be generous and add 10, 470w at peak on a factory overclocked 1080ti based system with a 130w tdp cpu.

A good 550w unit is WAY more than enough to run that.

Not enough headroom for me personally. :D

But yeah I know I read all of the tests when I was looking at the different cards after the Partner cards came out.

I ignore the FE card reviews because the partner cards pull more power.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

With an overclocked partner card its perfectly within the peak efficiency zone of any good PSU out there. And a good PSU does not need 200w of headroom for spikes over its rated wattage, as discussed, good ones can absorb spikes nearly 100w OVER its rated wattage.

So you may not like it and again you're entitled to your opinion, but a partner card test clearly shows the system will be 100w short of 550w. Meaning 550w is more than enough, nowhere near dangerous. Your opinion about headroom does not make it fact, and in the end all it is is a waste of money.

To that effect telling people (and I am not saying you did), that using a 550w PSU is dangerous with such a system is straight up baloney.

Yeah, I wasn't the one that did that. LOL

If the PSU is overdrawn all it will do is shut down (A good one) and not hurt anything normally.

That said it's not like we normally see 550W, 600W of the same models (Good units) so it's either 550W or 650W normally these days for quality units.

Not much difference in price of a 550W and 650W in quality PSU's, like maybe $10 most of the time.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Right exactly, that was the point.

And yes in some cases its $10, some its $20. Youd be surprised how much people hem and haw about PSU prices here (but have no problem dropping $600 on a GPU). And for anyone concerned about efficiency using a PSU thats too large is simply a waste of electricity. In some places in the world its no big deal, in others its a very big deal or in certain situations. For example I used the best lowest wattage PSU I could get for my home server to keep its efficiency high because its running 24/7/365. While my electrical bills aren't huge, wasted electricity and money is still wasted. Rather have it in my pocket than theirs.

So just to be clear, you're parroting from an article rather than actually measuring what YOUR card uses under the usage YOU put it through?

Yeah, my wattage meters are long gone, don't need them anymore like I used to.

Yeah I know they hem and haw all the time, I see it everyday here just like you do. LOL :D

And I hold back my posting when they do believe me. ;)

A $600 GPU and want to power it with a $30 PSU.... GAWD.... !!!!!!!

To me that is just unbelievable every time I see it, and it's a lot.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

You compare two different psu's here,the TXM and the old CX which are not the same quality level.

Yes the TX550M can handle the overdraw of power. The "Peak Power" is with Corsair about 10% over the max "Continuous power" a psu can give,so with the 550watt TXM (Cont.) will that be 605watt (Peak).It should be able to handle that fine for a moment,but is not recommended to run all the time.
From Corsair,
http://www.corsair.com/~/media/corsair/download-files/manuals/corsair-psu-spec-table.pdf
in here all the specs for their psu's.

4745454b

Titan
Then news flash, my friend upgraded to a new gpu with his old CX

What GPU? How old and what PSU? These details matter. One of the first PSUs I bought was an Antec. Smartpower 450W. I thought it was a good one, I didn't know until after I got it it had those horrible low quality Fuhjyyu caps. The design of the PSU was good, but the caps were low end. I did a lot of reading and found that as long as the caps don't get hot, they aren't quite as horrible as many make them out to be. I put it in my system and ran it for a couple of years until I upgraded it. Had a roommate who needed a PSU and a GPU and I gave her my old PSU and 9800GT. I told her to keep it cool, she shoved it into that oven, I mean space for towers commonly found in desks. It did within a week. Same PSU, same GPU, different outcome.

Maybe it could handle it for ~2years. Maybe the caps did get used up in that time. Maybe I was right and she just cooked the caps by putting in that cubby. A 7700K and 1080 (not 1080TI) should run fine on even a CX550W. It's close to the upper edge, but as long as you are gentle with it and keep it cool then you should be fine. (Going from memory the old CX units are only rated to 30C, which is 86F.) You didn't state the parts, so I can only guess what happened.

4745454b

Titan

From the Guru3d page.

The methodology: We have a device constantly monitoring the power draw from the PC. We stress the GPU to the max, and the processor as little as possible. The before and after wattage will tell us roughly how much power a graphics card is consuming under load. Our test system is based on an eight-core Intel Core i7-5960X Extreme Edition setup on the X99 chipset platform. This setup is overclocked to 4.30 GHz on all cores. Next to that we have energy saving functions disabled for this motherboard and processor (to ensure consistent benchmark results). We'll be calculating the GPU power consumption here, not the total PC power consumption.

So basically they have a kill a watt attached to the PC, and they stress the GPU only looking for an increase. Problem is they can't really remove the system draw. They also never say if they are taking the PSU efficiency into account. Guru3d constantly overstates GPU draw because of this. As you said above, 60W less from another site. To be honest I'd rather see a system total if you lack a way to show device only. At least let me know what the system as a whole would need. I can buy a PSU based on 403W, or 398W like the HardOCP review showed. I don't think I've ever seen a 1080TI pull 300W while gaming. (barring of course that previous mentioned one with three 8pin plugs.)