Question Question about CPU cores and threads.

thatskuroo

Prominent
Jun 21, 2020
Hello everyone, I have a quick question.
So basically I have to compare two computers with same [similar] specs but one has a Ryzen 5 3600 and the other Ryzen 5 2600x. Searching on the web I discovered that the only difference except 0.1 cpu mhz is that the 3600 has 6 cores/12 threads, and the 2600x has 6 cores/6 threads.

So my question is, is there a way to set the 3600 at 6 cores and 6 threads too? In the boot option i can’t set specifically how many of them to use so if it’s there a way even with some program that would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

Hello everyone, I have a quick question.
So basically I have to compare two computers with same [similar] specs but one has a Ryzen 5 3600 and the other Ryzen 5 2600x. Searching on the web I discovered that the only difference except 0.1 cpu mhz is that the 3600 has 6 cores/12 threads, and the 2600x has 6 cores/6 threads.

So my question is, is there a way to set the 3600 at 6 cores and 6 threads too? In the boot option i can’t set specifically how many of them to use so if it’s there a way even with some program that would be awesome. Thanks in advance.
You are mistaken: both the 2600X and the 3600 are 6 core/12 thread CPU's.
https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-2600x

There is a lot more than just the small difference in rated clocks separating the two CPU's. They are different architectures (Zen+ vs. Zen 2) and use completely different processes for the CPU (12nm GloFo vs. 7nm TSMC); both use 12nm GloFo for the SoC.

The 3600 has somewhere around 10-12% better IPC so you could expect that much better performance at the same clock speed. It also has a much improved integrated memory controller so you can reliably expect 3600Mtps memory clocks just by enabling XMP with correctly rated memory kits.

In short: the 3600 is a better CPU.

You can disable cores in BIOS; find something like an Advanced CPU section. But if you think your 2600X has only 6 threads you may have mis-configured MSConfig settings: Open MSConfig, Boot, Advanced Options and clear the Number of Processors check box.

Last edited: