Question Question about CPU support on Asus Q170M-CM-B board ?

Feb 4, 2022
So I bought a custom PC and the custom fan on it broke. I am attempting to build a new PC with most of the parts. One problem im noticing is its real easy to get Generation 6 motherboard, and generation 8+ motherboards, but god damn if I can find a 7th generation one.

Anyways, I bought this motherboard - https://www.manualowl.com/m/Asus/Q170M-CM-B/CSM-Pro/Manual/514770?page=8#manual

That's the manual for it. Now on most websites it says this board, or its brother (A weird scenario where this specific version of the motherboard is rarely if ever mentioned on sites, I guess I bought a ghost), supports 7th gen. On Asus it says it supports 7th gen. In the manual (which I could only find on a non-Asus website because of the aforementioned ghost situation) it says it supports 6th gen only. Well my CPU is an I7-7700 and thats 7th gen.

So I am wondering if anyone can help me make heads or tails of whats going on. This is the most difficult building process ive ever experienced to just find valid, non conflicting information. My assumption is that through a bios update I could support it, but I dont have a gen 6 processor. I'm kind of baffled by how difficult this is.

Wanted to add, to make this even more confusing, I did actually find the Motherboard on the Asus website. It lists the 7700 as "Validated since PCB" which means since the original creation of the board. It also has a BIOS validation stating "Since 3019". They contradict themselves on their own website pushing my confusion even further beyond. Maybe they were just confused when they made it... Link: https://www.asus.com/SupportOnly/Q170MCMB/HelpDesk_CPU/

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2022
Aye, it seems to support it. I suppose ill just install the CPU when the motherboard arrives and if it doesn't post ill take it to a shop and see if they can update the BIOS. It being listed as 6th gen only in the manual, and then listing the 7700 (7th Gen) as "Validated since PCB" or since creation as "All", but then also stating the Bios since 3019 is odd. I do also see it says Rev-B0, which I assume means in the B0 Revision The 7700(7th Gen Processors) is supported since creation, otherwise a BIOS update. So I suppose with revisions both ideas could be correct. I was under the assumption mainly Gigagyte did Rev concepts. I could be wrong.

Last edited: