[SOLVED] Question about different ram pair frequency.

May 18, 2021
If I have two sticks of 2666mhz dual channeling and buy a pair of 3000mhz will the new pair run slower to match the slower ram?

Solution
Yes, if you can get them to work at all. Should be same primary timings for every stick so slowest dictates speed. I have 2 sets of 3000 mhz @ 15-17-17-35 or something, same timings. Still, it took some tinkering to get both kits to work together. One set is Samsung, other is Hynix. 2800 Mhz was quite easy but 3000 Mhz proved to be a problem. Solved it eventually. It helps if you've ever overclocked RAM. If not, you got a lot to learn, if you are into that.

In your case, I would go for 2666 Mhz with the same timings as your old sticks, if possible. But then again, maybe it's time to get a new kit, maybe more capacity and ditch the old sticks. Depends on what you want or need more RAM for. And financials of course.
Whats your...
Ideally they will. If they can work at that frequency and timing. All your RAM may clock down to an even lower speed they all support. Such as 2133 or 2400Mhz.

They may not work together at all. If they do work. You may have manually overlock your memory. To find a frequency and CAS they all support.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Yes, if you can get them to work at all. Should be same primary timings for every stick so slowest dictates speed. I have 2 sets of 3000 mhz @ 15-17-17-35 or something, same timings. Still, it took some tinkering to get both kits to work together. One set is Samsung, other is Hynix. 2800 Mhz was quite easy but 3000 Mhz proved to be a problem. Solved it eventually. It helps if you've ever overclocked RAM. If not, you got a lot to learn, if you are into that.

In your case, I would go for 2666 Mhz with the same timings as your old sticks, if possible. But then again, maybe it's time to get a new kit, maybe more capacity and ditch the old sticks. Depends on what you want or need more RAM for. And financials of course.
Whats your motherboard and CPU?

Reactions: alexbirdie
Solution
May 18, 2021

Whats your motherboard and CPU?

CPU is Ryzen 5 3600 and the motherboard B450M-BAZOOKA, my current RAM is Ballistix Sport AT 8GB x2 2666mhz 16-18-18. The one I'm looking to buy is either Crucial Ballistix 8GB x2 DDR4 3000Mhz 15-16-16-35 or Crucial Ballistix 8GB x2 2666mhz 16-18-18-38. They are the same price, which is why I was thinking of buying the faster one, but unsure if it will even be faster.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP9F0h7qP_g

2666 vs 3200, not much difference. Like 5 fps perhaps so even less at 3000 mhz. That is, if you replace the RAM you have. But if you need the extra 16 gigs, that doesn't matter.
If the kits are the same price, I would go for the faster so the new kit isn't the limiting factor. The old kit will be. New 3000 Mhz kit should easily be able to do all the timings your old kit does.
But it's going to be XMP @ 2666 Mhz or manually set timings and frequency at 2666, probably. 2666 @ 16-18-18 doesn't inspire confidence in me for them to be able to hit 3000 Mhz with good timings but stranger things have happened. If you decide to overclock the old RAM. Crucial tends to use Micron chips. It's the same company. Crucial owns Micron, or the other way around.