[SOLVED] Question about external hard drive

Furzumz

Reputable
I bought a external hard drive for backing up data I care about and I was wondering is there any form of a catch or anything I need to keep in mind with external hard drives? For example if something were to happen to my computer requiring me to get a new one / reinstall the operating system or something along those lines, I should be able to just plug in the external hard drive on a fresh install OS / new computer and retrieve all the data off the external drive correct?

Sorry for the stupid question, just wanna make sure I don't plug in a external hard drive backup if / when I need it to find out I can't retrieve data off it for some random reason or another I didn't know about

Solution
I bought a external hard drive for backing up data I care about and I was wondering is there any form of a catch or anything I need to keep in mind with external hard drives? For example if something were to happen to my computer requiring me to get a new one / reinstall the operating system or something along those lines, I should be able to just plug in the external hard drive on a fresh install OS / new computer and retrieve all the data off the external drive correct?

Sorry for the stupid question, just wanna make sure I don't plug in a external hard drive backup if / when I need it to find out I can't retrieve data off it for some random reason or another I didn't know about
Yes, you can do all of that.

Yes, you can do all of that.

Solution
All of that is fine.
Something I do recommend however, if your data on that drive is important it may be a good idea to leave it unplugged until you need to access it. If for some reason your system gets compromised you dont want that drive to be associated with it.

I only plug in my external 4TB drive when I have to backup or retrieve photos. Original RAW files live on there for a while in case I need them, final rendered photos get put in two places, internally and on the external drive. Then it stays unplugged until I have a new batch.

Reactions: Grobe and CountMike
I'd also like to add - Do not move the external hdd while in use, there are very fragile/delicate parts inside and a platter that spins at high speed.

Also - always use safe removal of usb drives, if you forget that and just pull the usb then you might end up with a corrupted drive (I know because I've being doing that mistake in the past)

Furzumz

Reputable
Thanks for the help everyone

I'd also like to add - Do not move the external hdd while in use, there are very fragile/delicate parts inside and a platter that spins at high speed.

Also - always use safe removal of usb drives, if you forget that and just pull the usb then you might end up with a corrupted drive (I know because I've being doing that mistake in the past)

By safe removal do you mean waiting until all data is done transferring before unplugging it?

I'm used to seeing a 'eject' button on removable devices but this one doesn't seem to have one.

Hi, you've gotten some very good advice about this. Particulaly the 'not the best idea to have the external plugged in all the time' and the 'importance of ejecting it'. I use externals a lot and here's a little something that I really like.

Instead of plugging the external(s) directly into the computer's usb port ... plug them into a usb hub with switches. Here's one on sale at the moment:

https://www.amazon.com/ORICO-4-Port-Individual-Switches-Windows/dp/B01DBJ3FNU/ref=sr_1_14?crid=3AI3ERF0QKN7Y&dchild=1&keywords=switched+usb+hub+3.0&qid=1612116097&sprefix=switched+usb,aps,200&sr=8-14

This eliminates the need to be constantly 'plugging and unplugging' of the external(s). When you want to use the external .. simply switch that port on ... when you're done tranferring files or whatever ... switch it off ... BEAR IN MIND THAT YOU STILL HAVE TO EJECT THE EXTERNAL PRIOR TO SWITCHING IT OFF. Anyway, it really simplifies using externals and eliminates the 'wear and tear' issue on the usb ports. They really work well!

Last edited: