Question Question about HDMI 2.0 and Display Port 1.2

rulerss

Prominent
Nov 23, 2021
Hello everyone!

I have just upgraded my old monitor, Lg 24" full ips HD, with a Samsung Odyssey 25" 240 Hz. The new monitor is very advanced compared to my old one.

I have received from the factory a hdmi cable, I think it is a 2.0. Because in the monitor menu you can choose between hdmi 1.4 and 2.0. And it was factory set on 2.0.
I activated HDR from windows settings. Also, I put refresh rate in windows settings on 239 Hz. Everything works fine.

Now I want to benefit from G-Sync compatible option and I understand I need to buy a display port cable. I bought a 1.4 display cable and I am waiting for it to arrive.
The monitor supports 1.2 display cable only, but it said in the manual that 1.4 is also good.

My question is:

1) in games, is display port 1.2 better than hdmi 2.0 port? Because of g-sync option? It seems I can't use g-sync with hdmi cable.

2) for movies and not games, must I plug back the hdmi 2.0 cable? because of hdr10 is better? or hdr works also with display port?

3) when gaming and after activating g-sync with the new display port cable, should I leave vsync on, like before, or should I put it off?

Thank you for your time.

Hello everyone!

I have just upgraded my old monitor, Lg 24" full ips HD, with a Samsung Odyssey 25" 240 Hz. The new monitor is very advanced compared to my old one.

I have received from the factory a hdmi cable, I think it is a 2.0. Because in the monitor menu you can choose between hdmi 1.4 and 2.0. And it was factory set on 2.0.
I activated HDR from windows settings. Also, I put refresh rate in windows settings on 239 Hz. Everything works fine.

Now I want to benefit from G-Sync compatible option and I understand I need to buy a display port cable. I bought a 1.4 display cable and I am waiting for it to arrive.
The monitor supports 1.2 display cable only, but it said in the manual that 1.4 is also good.

My question is:

1) in games, is display port 1.2 better than hdmi 2.0 port? Because of g-sync option? It seems I can't use g-sync with hdmi cable.

2) for movies and not games, must I plug back the hdmi 2.0 cable? because of hdr10 is better? or hdr works also with display port?

3) when gaming and after activating g-sync with the new display port cable, should I leave vsync on, like before, or should I put it off?

Thank you for your time.
1) DisplayPort 1.2 should be able to drive the monitor at 240Hz since it is 1080p. I would use DisplayPort anyways just because of the G-Sync capability.

2) You do not have to change over to HDMI for HDR or movies and that is supported by DisplayPort.

3) When gaming with G-Sync turn off V-Sync. G-Sync will dynamically match your refresh rate with your frames per second assuming they are in its dynamic range. Samsungs website doesn't give the range but I would assume it will vary from 48-240Hz, with possibly going as low as 30Hz.

Reactions: rulerss

rulerss

Prominent
Nov 23, 2021
1) Ok, I will do as you say.

2) Ok, now I know display port is also HDR capable. So hdmi is weaker or equal in power in movies as d p.

3) So far I tested with the factory hdmi 2.0 cable a game, and it doesn't go further than 160 fps. Even with 1660 ti graphic card. But in windows 10, I put 239 hz refresh rate. And I think it has accepted.
But I left vsync on, like on the old monitor who had no new tech.

That is the last doubt I have, if vsync is complementary to g-sync, or it must be turned off, because it makes conflicts. Or doesn't allow to go to 239 hz.

Thanks! I don't know how to mark your answer as solved and close the thread.

That is the last doubt I have, if vsync is complementary to g-sync, or it must be turned off, because it makes conflicts. Or doesn't allow to go to 239 hz.
Think of G-Sync (or AMD FreeSync) as improved V-Sync. V-Sync while fixing tearing (by limiting frames to the monitors refresh rate also isn't a dynamic range) will cause other issues like input lag and stuttering. G-Sync and FreeSync offer the same ability to fix tearing, but does so in a dynamic range so it won't limit your frame rate, doesn't induce the same input lag or stuttering from V-Sync. This is why if you are using G-Sync you should not use V-Sync.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
G-Sync has two potential modes of operation:

V-Sync on and G-Sync on
Adaptive Sync below the VRR threshold (This may only apply to actual G-Sync monitors, with Freesync this may simply not offer Sync, But FreeSync Premium and Premium Pro may, based on some information out there)
G-Sync on through the VRR range and stops at the set refresh rate, meaning if you system is capable of more, it will still stop.

V-Sync off and G-Sync on
Adaptive Sync below the VRR threshold (This may only apply to actual G-Sync monitors, with Freesync this may simply not offer Sync)
G-Sync on through the VRR range
Above the refresh rate of the monitor syncing off. (If you exceed 144hz or whatever, the GPU will just pump out as many frames as possible, tearing will return)

Adaptive Sync is when frames are shown multiple times to prevent tearing. Not really ideal if you are below 30FPS regularly you should disable syncing.

rulerss

Prominent
Nov 23, 2021
Oh, I didn't know they could work together. Guess I have to test both variants.

On the old monitor without the new technology, I remember I had to disable vsync when playing starcraft 1 remastered. The game wasn't running fast enough, it was probably capped on the fps. But while it ran faster and good, the screen kept tearing. And when you activated vsync, then there was no tearing, but the game was limited. Like when you scrolled the screen, it went slow.

rulerss

Prominent
Nov 23, 2021
There is a new option that has appeared in windows. Variable refresh rate. Should I turn it on?
We've talked about v-sync and g-sync so far, which I understand.