Question about heatsink

Hi, I have an asus a7n8x motherboard that had an athlon
xp 2400+. Recently, I bought a new xp 2600 to upgrade.
The micro came with the original heatsink. The problem is
that it was impossible for me to use this new heatsink in
this motherboard (I couldn't clip it in the socket, and I
tried it for a while). Then I decided to use the heatsink
that was installed before. It installed perfectly.
But now I was reading some info that suggests to replace
the protection if you reuse the cooler.
Given that I installed everything and that I wouldn't want
to reinstall all this again, is there a way to know if the
old protection is working by means of looking at the temperature
of the cpu, etc?
I've been using the machine for a couple of hours and everything
worked ok... but should I be worried?

In article <2o0pdpF5kefbU1@uni-berlin.de>, none@none.com
says...
> Hi, I have an asus a7n8x motherboard that had an athlon
> xp 2400+. Recently, I bought a new xp 2600 to upgrade.
> The micro came with the original heatsink. The problem is
> that it was impossible for me to use this new heatsink in
> this motherboard (I couldn't clip it in the socket, and I
> tried it for a while). Then I decided to use the heatsink
> that was installed before. It installed perfectly.
> But now I was reading some info that suggests to replace
> the protection if you reuse the cooler.
> Given that I installed everything and that I wouldn't want
> to reinstall all this again, is there a way to know if the
> old protection is working by means of looking at the temperature
> of the cpu, etc?
> I've been using the machine for a couple of hours and everything
> worked ok... but should I be worried?

What is the ambient air temperature in the room, and
what does the CPU temp show as (either look in the BIOS
or install Asus' monitoring software).

Hi Toshi,

> > Hi, I have an asus a7n8x motherboard that had an athlon
> > xp 2400+. Recently, I bought a new xp 2600 to upgrade.
> > The micro came with the original heatsink. The problem is
> > that it was impossible for me to use this new heatsink in
> > this motherboard (I couldn't clip it in the socket, and I
> > tried it for a while). Then I decided to use the heatsink
> > that was installed before. It installed perfectly.
> > But now I was reading some info that suggests to replace
> > the protection if you reuse the cooler.
> > Given that I installed everything and that I wouldn't want
> > to reinstall all this again, is there a way to know if the
> > old protection is working by means of looking at the temperature
> > of the cpu, etc?
> > I've been using the machine for a couple of hours and everything
> > worked ok... but should I be worried?
>
> What is the ambient air temperature in the room, and
> what does the CPU temp show as (either look in the BIOS
> or install Asus' monitoring software).

Thanks for answering. I installed asus soft, but later read that it
wasn't too reliable. So I installed MBM 5, which shows me this:
Case: 35º, Diode: 62º, Socket: 42º. Room temperature was about
30ºC (hot summer here in Europe)
I tested the following: run seti@home for a while, and temperature
raised to almost 70ºC. What surprised me was the quick increment
(in 10 secs temperature raised from 60-62ºC to 67ºC... is it normal
to be that quick?)
And this is the last weird thing: yesterday I turned the computer off,
and today first thing in the morning, I turned it on and checked
bios values. The strange thing is that it showed cpu temp. at 45ºC!
(room temp. was 27ºC aprox) and mobo temp 25ºC... so how could
this be? Could it be that the temperature is disarranged?

Thanks for any tip.

Spajky

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 09:10:13 +0200, "notme" <none@none.com> wrote:

>Case: 35? Diode: 62? Socket: 42? Room temperature was about
>30? (hot summer here in Europe)

quite normal temps ...

>I tested the following: run seti@home for a while, and temperature
>raised to almost 70?. What surprised me was the quick increment
>(in 10 secs temperature raised from 60-62? to 67?... is it normal
>to be that quick?)

oh yes ... :)

>And this is the last weird thing: yesterday I turned the computer off,
>and today first thing in the morning, I turned it on and checked
>bios values. The strange thing is that it showed cpu temp. at 45?!
>(room temp. was 27? aprox) and mobo temp 25?... so how could
>this be? Could it be that the temperature is disarranged?

normal, bios just at post reads temps once (after beep)
read some about temps & compare @ my site under comp/bench & further

Regards, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##