Question Question about I5

Jwalkaflocka3

Honorable
Jan 28, 2016
Im currently running a i5 7600k at stock with a MSI 1080 on a 1440p 144hz monitor. Is this setup a major bottleneck? Is a upgrade most likely required or will I be fine for the most part?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It depends on the games you play. Monitor the usage of each core in Msi Afterburner.
Do you notice all the cores sitting at 100%? Or perhaps, even just a couple - this is all it really takes to run into a cpu limitation.
You should test this in most of your games, as the behavior won't be identical.

Jwalkaflocka3

Honorable
Jan 28, 2016
It depends on the games you play. Monitor the usage of each core in Msi Afterburner.
Do you notice all the cores sitting at 100%? Or perhaps, even just a couple - this is all it really takes to run into a cpu limitation.
You should test this in most of your games, as the behavior won't be identical.
Yeah I do notice that, but the thing is since im playing at 1440p ultra in a lot of games my gpu is at 100% as well....so I guess thats a positive? but yeah sometimes the cores are at 100% in games...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Also I just use HWmonitor cause I like the layout of it
That's fine too. I personally prefer the real time graph of Afterburner. I can play a game for 10mins, alt-tab out, and see more clearly what happened to the cpu cores over a period of time, whereas the other program simply refreshes the page over and over.

Yeah I do notice that, but the thing is since im playing at 1440p ultra in a lot of games my gpu is at 100% as well....so I guess thats a positive?
If you're satisfied with the fps you're getting, then yes. If not, then turn the settings down to high, or medium.

...but yeah sometimes the cores are at 100% in games...
If you're seeing 100% cpu usage in those games even on ultra graphics, then you indeed have a cpu limitation. Turning down the graphics won't fix that. The game most likely uses more threads than your current cpu can provide - thus a cpu upgrade...
But only if you're not satisfied with the results. If it's not bothering you too much, then you don't need to interfere yet.