[SOLVED] Question about installing different GPU in a working system

MarsColonist

Commendable
Jan 9, 2021
Can I install an old graphics card in a system that has been used for a few days with a new graphics card --- without changing the drivers beforehand? So I mean, I could just go into the case and pop the old one in there without doing anything with the drivers, and I should get an image on my screen after that, right? Then I can install the drivers for the different GPU later?

I want to do this to troubleshoot an issue to see if there is a problem with a new GPU I got, and I happen to have an old one I could use.

Solution
As long as the drivers support the GPU, you can switch without needing change the drivers out. Otherwise the worst that'll happen is Windows will find out there is no compatible driver, so it'll go find something that's compatible. You'll just have to uninstall that one before you swap back.
As long as the drivers support the GPU, you can switch without needing change the drivers out. Otherwise the worst that'll happen is Windows will find out there is no compatible driver, so it'll go find something that's compatible. You'll just have to uninstall that one before you swap back.

Solution
You can use a GPU (generally) without the drivers installed first. Windows will find a way, usually at a poor resolution, until you can get the drivers installed. As said above, you might not even need to change the drivers at all depending on the GPUs you are using.