[SOLVED] Question about installing more case fans

• Thread starter Deleted member 2720853
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2720853

I'm planning to get the be quiet! Pure Base 500DX to replace my current pre-built case (which has no airflow).

It comes pre-installed with three Pure Wings 2 140mm non-PWM 3-pin fans. I'm also getting a new motherboard, the GIGABYTE Z390 UD, which has 3 SYS_FAN headers and one CPU_FAN header. I want to place an extra 140mm 3-pin fan on the front.

My question is, if I purchase a 4-pin fan hub (splitter) that has 3 fan slots and one cpu fan slot, will I be able to hook up 1 more fan to this case on the front by connecting the fan hub to one of the SYS_FAN headers, and connecting the two front fans to the fan hub, while the other two fans on the front and back are connected directly to the motherboard? Will they run at full speed all the time or can I control their speed or make them ramp up with heat? I don't know if this motherboard has voltage fan control, from the specs it looks like it does but I want to make sure.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
You get 3 140mm fans with the case.

I would relocate the top 140 to the front.
If all the intake is filtered, your parts will stay cleaner.
Leave the 140mm rear as exhaust.
It will direct the intake airflow past your components.
Two 140mm fans is about the equivalent of 3 120mm fans.
If you use an extra top exhaust fan, you will tend to draw in unfiltered air form adjacent openings.

A I7-8700 is not overclockable, and your cooler with a 120mm fan will be fine.
If it is a i7-8700K then you should consider a stronger cpu cooler.

I am guessing that your 2070 cooling fans are perhaps 100mm.
Think about it, how many intakes does it take to match a 120mm plus 2 100mm cooling fans?
Your two 140mm intakes will be plenty.
If ultimately, you...
D

Deleted member 2720853

I apologize for bumping but I need a quick response. I just want to know if purchasing a fan splitter will allow me to add an extra 140mm 3-pin fan to the front. And if my motherboard allows changing its speed in the BIOS, or if it's compatible with SpeedFan or GIGABYTE SmartFan.

Can you supply a link to the exact model of the 500dx?
What will be installed that you need to cool?
There is no need for added fans at all.
Two front 140mm intakes is all you need to cool the hottest of components.
They move a lot of air quietly.
A single exhaust for directional purposes is good.
All the fresh air that comes in the front will exit somewhere, taking component heat with it.

You can usually use a fan splitter to manage two fans if you need to.
In your case(pun??) with 3 fans plus a cpu cooler, you will need none at all.

D

Deleted member 2720853

Can you supply a link to the exact model of the 500dx?
What will be installed that you need to cool?
There is no need for added fans at all.
Two front 140mm intakes is all you need to cool the hottest of components.
They move a lot of air quietly.
A single exhaust for directional purposes is good.
All the fresh air that comes in the front will exit somewhere, taking component heat with it.

You can usually use a fan splitter to manage two fans if you need to.
In your case(pun??) with 3 fans plus a cpu cooler, you will need none at all.

This is the exact model: https://www.bequiet.com/en/case/1854
It has one front fan, one back fan & one top fan all being 140mm. I want to install an additional 140mm on the front.

I changed my mind about the motherboard after writing this, I will get a GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro which has all the headers I need for 4 fans.

I didn't know 3 140mms would be enough... but I've been plagued by a microwave case this entire time and I want to make sure I have perfect airflow. I'm more worried about my GPU's temperature, since it's a Mini card.

I will have an i7-8700, ZOTAC RTX 2070 Mini (bought this GPU because of my pre-built HP Pavilion Power PC which does not fit full-size cards), and the CPU cooler will be a Thermaltake UX200 ARGB. Not the best of components, but I'm on a budget with a little extra spent on motherboard.

The fans on that case make it look like the intake is in the back, with an exhaust on top and on the front. Should I switch around the fans so that the intake comes from the front, and the air is exhausted in the back and through the top? Or should I install the additional front fan as it is and not change anything?

Last edited by a moderator:

If you use an extra top exhaust fan, you will tend to draw in unfiltered air form adjacent openings.

Think about it, how many intakes does it take to match a 120mm plus 2 100mm cooling fans?
If ultimately, you want more airflow, it is easy to change out the front fans for higher rpm units(at a higher cost in noise)

I would try what you get first, it is not hard to change fans later.

Solution
D

Deleted member 2720853

If ultimately, you want more airflow, it is easy to change out the front fans for higher rpm units(at a higher cost in noise)

I would try what you get first, it is not hard to change fans later.
It is an i7-8700.

Alright that saves me about 15 bucks if everything goes according to plan and the airflow is nice. If not, I'll buy an extra one and see what I can do with it. Thanks a lot.